• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Finger print lock

Just seen this:
    Double action fingerprint and access code security door lock for your office, business or home.
    Very good value for money. You can open the lock with either a finger print or pin code or both. and there is also a standard key for the lock as well.
    Finger print lock
    If you do decide to buy don't forget to check that its suitable for your door, ie check which side your hinges are on etc.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by toscal; 18 April 2010, 12:43 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

These would be great if they were combined with another input for remote release i.e. fingerprint, code and opened remotely by an occupant.
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• MichaelD
      Automated Home Guru
      • Mar 2006

They certainly seem cheap enough.

My experience of fingerprint recognition hasn't been great, my car uses it, but when its really cold, it doesn't read properly until I'm a bit warmer. Audi recommend breathing onto your finger if it won't read straight away.

And today, because I was doing DIY all weekend, my fingerprints are a bit knocked about, so I can't use my forefinger or thumb. Luckily I've scanned all the fingers on my left hand, so can keep trying them until one works!

Also had fingerprint recognition on my PDA some years ago, that worked intermittently, up to the point where I caught my finger in a router blade spinning at 11,000 rpm (ouch), and after that it never knew who I was!

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

ISTR, there was a problem with some of them, too, whereby they didn't clear memory between reads & could be tricked into using the last image rather than insisting on a new one each time - no idea if all of them were like this, and presumably a software update would have fixed it ?
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

I have a finger print lock as access to the node 0 room. What I did was to register the same finger about 10 times, in slightly different positions. This helped with the unit recognising my finger, almost all the time. The times when it doesn't its usually because my finger is a bit dry.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• MichaelD
            Automated Home Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by toscal View Post
            The times when it doesn't its usually because my finger is a bit dry.
            Thats the problem with the Audi, and is fixed by breathing on the finger. Before I read the manual properly and found that tip, I used to lick my finger, which worked very well, but its a bit gross !

Comment

Working...
            X