• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nad
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jul 2008

A little help with voice recognition please

Hi all,

I recently got my self a DFP and have managed to install it and get it going. Great bit of kit

So, I thought I'd have a go at trying to get the voice recognition going to see how good it is, but i've just not been able to get it going at all. I'm running the latest version of cortex along with sapi 4 and 5 on a Dell D610 with PCA cable connected properly. SAPI 4 is selected at the moment. I've set the intercom and the telephone engines and set the mixer cotrols so that only the mic is active (checked) and playback is done via volume/wav (unchecked).

I've had a look at the help files in cortex too, they helped me set up the engines and make sure that the mixer controls are set properly but I think i seem to be missing a step somewhere.

I know the DFP speaker is working as it speaks out items that i've enabled audio for, but i'm not sure how i can test to see if audio is coming back to cortex from the DFP.

So what could i be doing worng or not doing at all?

Thanks in advance,
    Nad
  • pdwarriner
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2008

You should be able to run windows Sound recorder and check that you have audio coming in from the DFP, via the PCA/CBA.

Peter.

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

As Peter suggests - with Cortex running open up DFP intercom behaviour menu, click on Monitor: Microphone, then run the Windows recorder utility and click on record in that. You should be able to then record audio from the DFP microphone.

Did you also the check the voice recognition engine set up via the Recognition behaviour menu?

Comment

• Nad
        Automated Home Guru
        • Jul 2008

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have another go later this evening
        I thought I had done the recognition engine setup alredy but I'll double check that too.

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

Oh, and forgot to say, better practise your North American accent too unless you've got a British recognition engine

Comment

• Nad
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jul 2008

Nope, still no go with this
            I think I've set all the options that I need to se. I even uninstalled cortex, reinstalled the SAPIs and then reinstalled cortex, upgraded to v24.3.31 and still the same issue. I've taken screen shots of all the screens i needed to set perameters so please can someone point out what i'm doing worng? I had the "Press to talk" enabled on the DFP while taking the other screen shots.

For some reason the recognition behavior window always shows a status of disabled unless you kick off the manual start. Sometimes the manual start option is not even available (as per one of the screen shots) Also the recognisable words window is always empty too.

DFP_buttons.jpg
            intercom_recognition_engines.jpg
            recognition_behavior.jpg
            recognition_behavior_1.jpg
            recognition_behavior_3.jpg
            sound_behavior.jpg
            sound_card_mixer_schemes_Volume.jpg
            sound_card_mixer_schemes_recording.jpg
            speech_options_1.jpg

speech_options_2.jpg

Thanks again,
            Nad

Comment

• Karam
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2005

Do you have anything set to start the recognition function? For example a button connected to 'Recognition' | 'Listen to me' ? I can't see this in your DFP buttons. Or are you thinking that Press to talk is what does this?

The manual start may start the recognition process but at that point Cortex does not know where to get the audio from other than from the PC. In other words it does not know which microphone to turn on. So you will probably just see the list of available recognition commands at that level appear in the recognition word list. And because you have selected the 'look for pre-amble' words option the only words at the point will be the pre-amble word (in this case appears to be Cortex) and other defaults like 'Where' (which is normally used to ask at which level you are within the tree structure).

I have personally not found the pre-amble route so useful. In theory it should be the way to do things but in practice speech recognition is still not reliable enough not to interpret some other words as pre-amble, but hey its all there for experimenting with. I think the more useful/reliable application of the recognition I've found to be the phone route. The bandwidth is already restricted and the audio environment also more constrained, plus I guess I'm able to feign a bit of an American accent . Also when using a mobile phone its easier to talk and listen rather than push buttons.

Comment

• Nad
                Automated Home Guru
                • Jul 2008

Thanks for your response Karam. I didn't spot the "Recognition" command so assumed "Push to Talk" would do the same ... you know what they say about assumptions

Now I just need to practice my american accent

Comment

• Karam
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2005

To improve reliability you ought to bear in mind that the more different the phrases sound (at a given level) the better. So this means judicious naming of objects and/or renaming of default navigation command words can help. For example instead of just 'Where' you might change this to 'Where am I'

Comment

Working...
                  X