Thread: Network cables installation help

Automated Home Lurker

Question Network cables installation help

Hi All,

I am going to install about 20 network cable to various locations, but i need to route them out through an external wall, up a false rainwater downpipe, and then back through an external wall to the attic space.

What do you recommend is the best way to contain these cables while going through the external wall to the down pipe? I was thinking of flexible conduit, or fixed PVC conduit, but i'm not sure how i would fix either to the wall and to the down pipe securly.

Ideally it would allow for more cables to be routed at a later date.

Cheers.

JungleJim.

I would use rigid plastic pipe. You can buy special mounting clips/ brackets for the pipe to fix to the wall. Also run some thin rope through at the same time as the cables, that way when you need to add more the rope to pull them through is already there. If possible try and have some sort of inspection hatch or box on the exterior wall before the pipe goes into and out the house. This will make future running of cables easier. This is the sort of thing I am thinking about http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11971/...end-Grey-SP169
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Lurker

I think i need to clarify a little.

All i have is one length of downpipe, from the roof level to the ground. I need to route a bunch of about 20 network cables out of the house into the downpipe (through the sidewall of the pipe) up the pipe to roof level, then back out the side of the pipe into the house again.

So i need to make a containment connection from the house (a distance of about 4-6 inches) to the pipe and the same again at high level.

I was thinking two large diameter lengths of kopex or PVC conduit would do. But not sure. Any thoughts really.

What (I think) toscal was suggesting is that you allow access points into that drainpipe to help you in routing the cables. The Screwfix product is typical of the sort of thing used in other drainage systems, I guess it was just linked to as an example…

Without access into the drainpipe you may find it very difficult to pull through extra cables later. It’s easier and better for the cables if they’re not pulled around bends, even if they are “swept”.
    Why not come through the wall in drainpipe too? At least then you will be able to neatly mate-up that pipe with the outside pipe, and use the same bends, fittings, etc. You need to watch out for water ingress as if you fully-pipe the outside section into the house, the slightest leak of water will follow your cables inside.

As for access, you might want to leave enough flex in the drainpipe and already-installed cables to be able to remove the bends when it’s time to run more wires through.

Just some thoughts, HTH,

Tim.

Tim you are correct in what I was thinking,( oh no some one who thinks like me). I have also seen access points that enable you to remove part of the pipe which is better but couldn't find any examples of this.
    Last edited by toscal; 6th October 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Lurker

You can run the wires and cables down and along the outside of the wall or you can run your TV wires through the interior of your walls and other structures. Most external methods are easy to implement and install and they can usually be moved or taken down if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by foxgeorge View Post
    You can run the wires and cables down and along the outside of the wall or you can run your TV wires through the interior of your walls and other structures. Most external methods are easy to implement and install and they can usually be moved or taken down if needed.
    But visible wires on the outside of houses look really bad, even worse than drainpipes, and they have to be external grade cables or the sun and rain will wreck them within a few years.

I've routed drainpipe up the inside of the house, inside the airing cupboard, to get wires up into the loft, but that isn't always possible