• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smoothquark
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2009

Multiroom music

Has anyone tried using idratek to control multiroom music? I would actually like in-wall controls, ideally with a display. I've looked at cambride audio incognito which is similar to the Opus 300 a-bus system. Any suggestions?
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Squeezebox from Slimdevices now part of Logitech (open-source and has an excellent xAP plug-in, plus basic support already in Cortex (needs a license upgrade)

Sonos?

Comment

• smoothquark
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Oct 2009

Thanks. Did consider squeezebox. Trouble is.
      , the house is now cabled for a CAT5 to a 47mm back box with speaker cables going out to ceiling speakers. I was planning to use A-Bus modules with in-wall amps, but just wonder if I can use any of the idratek modules instead. The CAT5 is completely spare and can be used to bring in audio only using a balun and is not required for the idratek bus (there is a separate cable for this)

Comment

• RichardC
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by smoothquark View Post
        Thanks. Did consider squeezebox. Trouble is.
        , the house is now cabled for a CAT5 to a 47mm back box with speaker cables going out to ceiling speakers. I was planning to use A-Bus modules with in-wall amps, but just wonder if I can use any of the idratek modules instead. The CAT5 is completely spare and can be used to bring in audio only using a balun and is not required for the idratek bus (there is a separate cable for this)
        Keene Electronics do several types of amplifier that will fit into a 2 gang back-box. Click also on alternatives when you visit the website and it will show you several others.

I'm experimenting at the moment with Squeezebox control as we have several about the house. Just about to play with the DDAR running squeezebox software to try control from Cortex for music in the bathrooms Luckerly our tastes in music only change from Planet Rock or a 80's music channel from sky.fm
        As the DDAR units have a small amplifier on board, I have not used the Keene electronics, but have looked at them in the past.

Comment

• smoothquark
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Oct 2009

Sorry, not sure what you mean by the DDAR? I did look at the Keene amp - they don't have a display.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Sorry, not sure what you mean by the DDAR?
            DDAR = Dell Digital Audio Receiver

M.
            Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
            www.twitter.com/ottomate
            www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• RichardC
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2009

Sorry, not sure what you mean by the DDAR? I did look at the Keene amp - they don't have a display.
              On that basis a DDAR wouldn't do what you want - Sonic Blue RIO receiver. Also put out by Dell.

Suggested the Keene amp as you suggested sending out the music out via the cat 5 and amplified to the speakers. So I was thinking that you would have the players in a central location. As to a display as well prehaps suggest something like a Nuvo - Saw it demo's on the Wired-life stand at Home Renovation show at the NEC, but I don't know where the amplification happens and it wasn't two-gang in size, more 1 gang.

Another one is Request IQ.

As to if there is a conduit to allow control via Idratek I don't know. The Nuvo does have RS232 to allow outside control, but would require some roll your own software to talk to it from Cortex. Both systems have IR so you could control it via something like a ITR-002.

Sorry if that's no help whatsoever. I hope that it's some food for thought anyhow.

Comment

• smoothquark
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Oct 2009

Thanks very much .... I shall look into it. It has definitely opened up a few more lines of enquiry!

Comment

• Kevin
                  • Jan 2004

Slim Devices / Logitech have announced the SqueezeBox touch - which looks really interesting at the expected pricepoint and has countless HA possibilities.

This uses a new SqueezeCentre version now called SqueezeBox Server and already there's a xAP conduit that works with this. The conduit fully addresses the music functionality of the hardware and provides on screen display of messages and IR retrieval. Maybe, once hardware is actually shipping Edward (author) might be able to add extra HA functionality.

K

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

have a look at Sonelco, requires twisted pair cable for hook up. They of course recommend their own cable, but if the run is short enough I think cat5 would possible do.
                    For the Domo series
                    http://www.sonelco.es/ing/products/c...mpactdomo1.htm also check out the Compact Basic and Plus series. The Easy Series is very easy to install http://www.sonelco.es/ing/products/e...ularsystem.htm
                    If you let me know how long your CAT 5 runs are I can tell you if you can use your existing wiring or not.
                    The MESSAGE RECORDER / PLAYER PC5510 http://www.sonelco.es/pdfs-producto/ingles/PC5510in.pdf may be of particular interest as it has the ability to playback 4 pre-recorded messages into your sound system. The messages are triggered via contact closures. So while you are listening to your media collection or the radio and the door bell goes, it will automatically transmit a message or sound while you are listening to your music. Its also possible to connect other audio equipment, such as a DVD player or cd player.
                    We have installed combined Sonos and Sonelco systems and this works very well, especially where you need an occasional extra zone, such as an ensuite bathroom.
                    Last edited by toscal; 11 October 2009, 05:21 PM.
                    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• smoothquark
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Oct 2009

I really like to Nuvo. Unfortunately my cabling has been wired like this: hub -> Cat5 -> wall -> speaker cables -> ceiling, as I thought I might use the Cambride audio A-Bus system. The Nuvo requires speaker cables to be home run to the hub. Unfortunately, the A-bus system does not allow track listings etc. It would be great if I could use the DFP unit to display and control the music. Perhaps using the relays to switch on and off a class D amplifier module taking a separate line level source via a separate CAT5 might work? Might need quite a bit of programming on Cortex.

Comment

Working...
                      X