• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdw
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2007

MiniITX processor at 250C

Hi,

I've just been re-housing my Minit-itx based (EN1200) cortex server into a new case. I thought I'd monitor the temperature and maybe find I can do without the case fan.

However, the Via FliteDeck software thinks the processor is running at 250C and as a result wants to shut the thing down before it combusts.

Naturally its a duff reading.

AFAIK I've got all the right drivers installed.

Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong? [ or how I can fix it ! ]

/jon
    Jon
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Which version of the bios do you have. you may want to update or if its the latest you could try going back a version. and what settings have you got checked on the PC health page in the BIOS.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

just a thought - but, on other things, we've been caught-out by assuming false readings when they're not false at all - are you sure it's false - eg: did you remove the heat-sink in the process & put it back again without the thermal paste ?
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• jpdw
        Automated Home Guru
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
        just a thought - but, on other things, we've been caught-out by assuming false readings when they're not false at all - are you sure it's false - eg: did you remove the heat-sink in the process & put it back again without the thermal paste ?
        I've never removed the heatsink, and whilst it's warm it's more like a luke-warm coffee cup. I dont think I've ever actually run the Flite Deck system monitoring app an this motherboard before so can't tell if this is a "new" problem or not.

If it really was running @ 250C with the heatsink adrift and not doing it's job I'd expect to be able to feel it a bit more.
        Jon

Comment

• jpdw
          Automated Home Guru
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by toscal View Post
          Which version of the bios do you have. you may want to update or if its the latest you could try going back a version. and what settings have you got checked on the PC health page in the BIOS.
          I *did* upgrade the bios a while back.. and as I mention a moment ago, as I wasn't checking this value before it's quite possible the bios change broke this and I didn't notice.

having said that, I rebooted to go into the BIOS because normally it will be shown on one of the bios screens, and found the display all shifted off to the left. On reboot when windows changed the screen res, the monitored popped off... Quick reboot and defaulting the BIOS then setting things back as I want and things are ok... So I think it's likely either the ESCD got corrupted and/or the battery needs to be replaced.

I did notice that the BIOS "PC Health" screen seems to lack any mention of temperature, so maybe the EN can't measure it's own temp ...
          Jon

Comment

Working...
          X