• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andyrite
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2009

Hi
    I've been reading up on Idratek for over 6 months now. I've read every blog going.

Been in this house over a year now. It's still stuck in the 70's. I've rewired but it's time for some HA.

Just a few questions for you experts!

What the best cable to run for Idratek itself? Shielded Cat5e or the pink Cbus cable? (240v rated) What cable are you running for the 24v heating cable? (relays to the radiators actuators)

Andy
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Welcome you've made a good choice!

Don't get too hung up over cable type. I believe when Idratek first demoed the kit they used bell-wire.

I would recommend stranded over single wire which makes it slightly more tricky to find stranded Shielded Twisted Pair Cat 5 cable.

Paul

Comment

• Gumby
      • May 2004

Hi Andy,

For Rad valves powered at 24V I used standard 1mm Twin+Earth, since at the time I wasn't sure whether I'd use 24V or mains ones - there was a significant price difference in early quotes I had favouring 240V, but in the end this disappeared. The actual current used by the rad valve actuators is pretty small.

For your Idranet it's important to meet the correct insulation standards, so if your cabling is going to co-exist with mains cabling (eg under floorboards) it needs mains grade insulation. However, Idratek recommend screened cable to avoid any issues of noise pickup, particularly onto the audio bus. If you use screened CAT-5 then stranded is easier to route, solid core is a bit ungainly.

If you are able to get the specs on the insulation of "bog-standard" screened Cat-5 such that you can confirm it's rating then that may prove a better choice than the Pink stuff.
      ----------------------
      www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• andyrite
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jul 2009

Cheers for the info. My mate is a sparky so i'll give him a ring to see about running Cat5 near mains.

Andy

Comment

Working...
        X