X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Windows Genuine Advantage Con

Spent 20 minutes on the phone with Microsoft this morning. It all started this morning after a reboot. all of a sudden I get a message saying that I have made significant changes to my computer since windows was activated that it needs to be re-activated. All I have done in 18 months is add another gigabyte of memory and that was done in January.
    Then the reactivate screen came up, OK not too bad just do what it says and it will all be fine. Phoned up Microsoft as it was unable to connect to the internet. Then was unable to go any further due to the fact the information they needed wasn't present at all. Then tried to get hold of a real live person, I don't think these exist in Microsoft. After 20 minutes of please hold then please press 1 or press2 etc I gave up.
    Cancelled the screen and logged in to see a nice WGA pop up on my screen. clicked it and this took me to a Microsoft site saying in large writing that my copy of windows probably wasn't genuine and for 142 euros I could make it genuine. What rubbish I know its genuine. anyway also on the screen in small writing is a link you click to check to see if your copy is genuine. Clicked the link and guess what after about 2 minutes it said your copy of windows is genuine. Do you wish to activate it. pressed yes and its all ok.
    What really annoys me is that someone less tech savy would be led to believe that they have to pay 142 euros to get it sorted.
    Anyway I will be writing to Microsoft telling them what I think. So we will see what happens. And I will let you know.
    Anyone else had similar problems as I believe it may have been caused by a Windows WGA (Windows genuine advantage ) update.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Yep, we were up for a new edition of MS Office a year or two ago, and when we went to buy it we were assured all we actually needed was an update at a fraction of the cost (still not cheap), which seemed great ... only, for one reason or another, we took a while to get around to installing it, and when we did it refused to load, because it didn't like what we had already - which also was perfectly bona fide ... ... in the end, we lost our money & made-do with the older version ! And we've a brand-new OEM version of 'XP waiting here to be installed on a new PC, both of which have been hanging around for a while - partly because I know it just ain't going to go smoothly !
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 21 October 2009, 04:58 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

I know someone else who had a similar problem with office 2007. Ended up having to get a new copy.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

yep, really annoying - sometimes it seems like money for nothing but chaos & trouble ... they're a near-monopoly, so maybe this is what we should expect ...
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 22 October 2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• TimH
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2004

Hasn't happened to me, but it has happened with my antivirus software (a known issue and there was an FAQ entry for it).

One major difference though is they allow the activation key to be stored on their server so all I had to do was log on & re-enter the code into my pc. A few secret masonic handshakes later (between my pc and their server) and all was well again.

Cheers,

Tim.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

• Quantum
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Nov 2009

I know it's not constructive criticism but,

Youtube video

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

wouldn't call that unconstructive - very understated & restrained, more like !

Comment

Working...
              X