• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anonymous
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2000

xAP and Linux

Cross post from the xAP mail lists xap_automation @ yahoo

(The xAP Group tries to cross-post answered questions here as a resource to automatedhome users)

Question: (by Steve)

I'm currently running misterhouse on a Freebsd box, it's my only machine running 24/7.

I've been told that misterhouse may be able to act as the xAP hub, is this true?

Answer: (by Patrick)

I'm not sure off hand if Mister House can act as a hub or not, however
    you can find the source for a linux hub here:

you will also need:

to build it.

There is some documentation here:

• Stubbs
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2004

Re: xAP and Linux

I think the answer to this is No, but MrHouse will talk to a xAP hub.

The changelog for v2.76 says:

"Updated the xAP code to work with Patrick's latest hub."

And I can find no reference to MrHouse acting as a hub itself.

There are various other references to xAP/xPL in the change log too ...
    -S

Comment

• greypanda
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2006

misterhouse has the hub code embedded in the xap/xpl modules, but I think that is a really BAD thing. I like to have hubs running in their own environment so if, for example, misterhouse were to crash, other applications won't die. The misterhouse code will detect if there is a hub running and, if so, will adjust. I have found that the misterhouse code for xap and xpl is seriously broken for real applications.

Comment

• Anonymous
        Automated Home Guru
        • Nov 2000

For the xPL side of things, Misterhouse appears horribly, horribly broken.

We have been asking them to fix it for over a year with pretty much no response.

Basically, Misterhouse can be made to send xPL Messages in script, and listens for some xPL messages on the wrong port - although you can change the port to the right one (and therby not have any xap functionality, which is hardly ideal!)

We have a couple of Misterhouse users on the ukha_xpl yahoo group, and *may* even have a developer, but there's no formal communication between the misterhouse and xPL projects...

Comment

• jcmiguel
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Apr 2008

Linux, xAP and Mythtv

I tried the links from Patrick and all seems to be broken. Is there any further documentation to implement xAP on linux and develop a plugin to mythtv? Anyone with experience on that? Thanks

Comment

• erspearson
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Aug 2008

Working links

Patrick has re-organised his site so those (5 year old) deep links are broken but everything is there if you go higher up e.g., hubs are http://patrick.lidstone.net/haweb/ht...structure.html

Comment

Working...
            X