• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rarem
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2009

Controlling a Viessmann Boiler

Does anyone have any experience with the Viessmann boiler range?

I'm planning on buying a Viessman Vitodens 100-WB1B or Vitodens 200 (once I figure out what the difference is!).

I'd like to be able to link it in to my HA system which is presently Indigo running on a Mac. Will it be possible to control one of these boilers by relay or other means? I'm looking for basic control like time control etc...
  • nickgale
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2005

Get a Vitodens 200

I have a Vitodens 200 with Vitotrol 300 remote with weather compensation. You won't need to control it, set up the times you need heat, target temperature in the house and experiment with the weather compensation curves - mine is set to 2.1, for a week and you'll have a near constant temperature in the house no matter what is happening outside.

If you're going away then set the dates on the Vitotrol 300 and you'll come back to a warm house with frost protection while you're away.

The beauty of this is that the controls are directly affecting the burner modulation so there is no relay contact - 0 or 100%, there is variable temperature control of the heating circuit. You can also control other aspects such as a DHW secondary circulation pump and the DHW cylinder can have a temperature sensor fitted so you have control over the DHW temp from the Vitotrol 300.

We had it installed as it's the only boiler that can talk to KNX via a gateway, but we haven't done this yet as the built in controls are so good (and we install KNX!). You don't need anything else if you get the controls pack.

They do a controls pack that includes the external temperature sensor, DHW sensor, Vitotrol 300 and relay board for the the circulation pump.

That said yes you can control it from a demand relay but that's a retrograde step in my view. One tip - it ships with a constant temp control module, if you fire it up with this installed it will need to be reset if you change to the variable temp module. When it fires up for the first time it looks at what's installed and sets itself up.

Cheers

Nick

Comment

• nickgale
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2005

Oh yes should have mentioned - the main difference between a 100 and 200 is the weather compensation and better controls - the 200 is worth the extra

Comment

• Simon300
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by rarem View Post
        Does anyone have any experience with the Viessmann boiler range?

I'm planning on buying a Viessman Vitodens 100-WB1B or Vitodens 200 (once I figure out what the difference is!).

I'd like to be able to link it in to my HA system which is presently Indigo running on a Mac. Will it be possible to control one of these boilers by relay or other means? I'm looking for basic control like time control etc...
        I've just ordered a 100 WB1B after much deliberation. I'm hoping that the problems that earlier 100s had have been resolved now.

Regarding controls there are 3 options:
        1) the WB1B has an Open Therm interface - you just need the adaptor that comes with the Weather Compensation Outdoor Sensor (part no Z006506) - this connects PCB socket X21 to a terminal block. I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to use this, but at least it will be there.

2) Viessmann have some timeclocks/thermostats which plug into socket X7. The wiring diagram shows 4 connections for this socket: 24V, CH1, CH2, GND. I don't know what level controls the CH1/2 (CH/DHW or vice-versa presumably) - TTL or 5V perhaps. That might give you a control option.

3) At the simplest end of things, I think heat demand can be controlled simply by connecting a traditional 240V roomstat (or something else) to L1 & L.

Finally, leaving aside the optional KNX interface etc, the 200 is more sophisticated than the 100 in two ways I spotted:
        • 4:1 output modulation range instead of 3:1
        • more settings, for example, for weather compensation you have much more control over the shape of the curve.

That said, the 100 has weather compensation built-in, except for needing the £40(!) cable/thermistor mentioned above. Therefore with WC even if you are just switching the boiler on/off it will still lower the flow temp to maximise the condensing/efficiency if possible.

BTW: I found Viessmann technical support to be very helpful & put some of the other manufactures to shame.

Comment

Working...
        X