Clear All
  • gpulido
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2009

Unwired on/off water radiator control

Hello!
    I'm going to install an Air Conditioned zonified with Airzone / Innobus
    (http://www.airzone.es/en/ )

The system is capable of control the heating using a "dry contact" (relay) connected to an electro valve (one for radiator) that open and close each radiator.
    This has a problem, it force me to wire all radiators.
    So I'm thinking on use the relays and connect to them something that read the state of the relays, use a pc phisically connected to the relays (easy) and send through some unwired protocol (wifi, rf, z-wave, whatever...) to a unwired controlled valve in each termostat (powered by batteries) that open /closed it.

Is there any radiator valve that could respond to an open /close telegram?

(in short: I need an unwired electro valve for radiators connected to a dry contact relay)

Thanks in advance.
    Gabriel
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

There are quite a few electric radiator valves on the market. They are 12V, 24V or 230V mains in operation.
    Another option would be the house heat system this is wireless, see recent thread on the house heat. http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ead.php?t=2050

I know that Danfoss has done a z-wave version of their radiator valves but I don't know where you would get them.

¿Hablas español?
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• gpulido
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2009

Hello Toscal,

(For no Spanish speakers, I'll translate the post to english later, sorry for the inconvenience)

Gracias por la respuesta.
      Si, hablo español

Escribí en un mal ingles para tener mas alcance y pq el foro es en inglés, au
      aunque es cierto que cosas tan técnicas son mejores en idioma nativo

Por partes, el sistema de danfoss no me vale pq lo unico que puedes controlar es si se pone o no en modo económico, es decir reduce en 3 grados el sistema.
      El sistema de Innobus tiene sus propios termostatos de zona y controlan tambien la caldera y la bomba de calor del A/A, son capaces de controlar tambien los radiadores mediante una electro válvula termostatica a traves de un contacto seco on/off.
      Mi idea es enganchar algo a los contactos secos on /off del sistema Innobus y "transmitir" la información de encendido/apagado "wireless" a un termostato en el radiador que me permita on /off. Básicamente sustituir el cable por algo intermedio, pero tengo que buscar tambien los termostatos.

La ventaja es que la programación quedaría de parte de innobus y solo tengo que activar y desactivar radiadores de alguna forma... ¿las valvulas electricas que comentas pueden ser activadas con pilas?

Otra idea que he estado barajando es usar el protocolo de Innobus que es abierto y leer la información de los termostatos de zona y luego actuar en consecuencia (con un pc programado) con un sistema como el que está en el hilo que me comentas. Lo que pasa es que me sobran los termostatos del househeat y sólo necesito las válvulas termostáticas que no se si puedo controlar mediante un sistema linux y la pasarela pc-connect. ¿Sabes si es posible solo poner las valvulas y controlarlas con el pc-connect?

Gracias de nuevo por las molestias
      Un saludo

Comment

• ggiblin
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Sep 2009

Heating Zones, Radiator Valve Control, 1-Wire

I have a similar problem, no heating zones.

But I have a plan.

I picked up an Electric Radiator Valve Actuator from Idratek a while ago. I think it was £40 including postage.

What I plan on doing is to control it using a 1-wire switch, connected to a relay.

I have made a mock up and it works fine.

So, I have the valve connected to the power supply, controlled by the relay. The relay controlled by the 1-wire switch (DS2406) which is connected to my computer. I could always put a 1-wire temperature sensor (DS18S20) on the radiator, to ensure that it is on or off when it should be.

The great thing is that, even though the Electric Radiator Valve Actuator is relatively pricey, the 1-wire bits only cost a few quid. The design is simple and easy to troubleshoot.

It may be a trick to link it into your system. I use Linux and owfs, so it is simplicity itself.

Regards

Jerd

Comment

• gpulido
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2009

Thanks Jerd,
          I seems interesting but I would have to solve two problems:

1) I need battery powered Radiator Valve Actuator
          2) I need to "transmit" the relay information from the system to the relay from the actuator.

any suggestions?

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

Hola,
            I will reply in English.
            Been thinking about this. I still think the House Heat system
            And have come up with an idea. It should work, but might be worth trying it with one radiator first.
            The House Heat system is wireless the valves are wireless so battery controlled.
            If you then connect a House Heat wireless door sensor to the Innobus system via the contact closure terminals inside the door sensor. This will then via the Bidirectional radio heater thermostat FH80TB open or close the valve depending on the relay from the Innobus system as the house heat system will think a window is open or closed.
            Parts for needed for one radiator are:
            ‘FHT80TF’ door/window contact sensor
            FH80TB Bidirectional radio heater thermostat (may only need one of these for the whole house)
            wireless Valve drive.
            It maybe possible to assign more than one door sensor to the thermostat and tell it which radiator it is to control.
            Conrad electronics do a kit containing all the above in a kit (751632-I5) here is the link http://www.conrad-int.com/websale7/F...84229%2fmd5%7d

If you want I can send you a PM in Spanish with what i have written here
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• gpulido
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Nov 2009

Hello,
              Thank toscal for the solution, it sounds very very promising.

Few questions,
              -The innobus relay (dry contact) has no tension so how can it close the door sensor that I suppose is closed through an electromagnetic system?

-The FH80TB is absolutely necessary, isn't it? Since Innobus give me thermostats for each zone, I don't need the FH80TB to measure temperatures, so it will be only used as a gateway to control the radiator.

(I'm capable of understand English, writing it is the hard thing, I hope the explanation is good enough )

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

the door sensor can use a contact closure to determine if the door or window is closed or open. So a relay contact from the Innobus system will do the same.
                You are correct about the FH80TB

I can understand Spanish much better than I can write or speak it. So I understand you perfectly.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• gpulido
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Nov 2009

Ok, it should work, as soon as I had the Innobus installed I'll make the test.

If it doesn't work, I still could use the pc-connect way throught a programmer using FHEM in linux.

I'll write back with the results as soon as I have tested it (about two months )

Thanks for the help

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

buena suerte
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X