X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

windows CE touchscreen

just saw this on the maplin website. Seems quite cheap to me just under 80 pounds for a touch screen. I guess it could make a good HA terminal
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • back_ache
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2009

The last time I wrote some web pages for windows ce I found the default browser to be awful (worse than Internet explorer 6).

However there is a version of the opera browser (for free) that should work on the device instead.

Comment

• gwoodruff
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2009

My experience suggests to keep away from CE based systems - they are a cut down version of what is a messy operating system. You are better off sticking with a full blown XP system - while it does have its share of problems there is a better chance that you can get your projects to work without too many problems!

Comment

• wywywywy
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2005

Price is now just under £70.

I was on the verge of an impulse buy, having pictured myself with a pseudo Crestron-like terminal in my hands. But then I found that similar WinCE-based GPS devices are actually cheaper, also with the possibility of installing (via hacks) apps on unlike this non-standard one. And of course that can be used as a sat nav too.

So I'll give this a miss now... unless there's a 8" version!

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Often wondered about those CE based GPS devices one of the firms I use from time to time sells loads of them they call them GPS Navigators .
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Marc
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Feb 2004

Save your money on the maplin device.

I got one in December and it's pretty much useless unless your sitting directly on top of a wifi router.

I could go on and on but I won't.

Comment

• Gangsta
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Marc View Post
              Save your money on the maplin device.

I got one in December and it's pretty much useless unless your sitting directly on top of a wifi router.

I could go on and on but I won't.

Does it have an ethernet socket on it, or do you know if I could use a usb > ethernet?

And much more importantly - whats the back of it shaped like - will it sink flush into a wall (at 60-70 quid each - it going to be cheaper than the lightswitches I need lol)

Last but not least - do you know if it has .net framework? So i can customize it?

Cheers

Comment

• Gangsta
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jan 2010

Woohoo, cracked it

I now have my maplin mid running my lights more automation to follow.

The start of a very cool looking ui, and always online and permantly powered (cat5 to the usb port on the device)

Will be getting another 5 or 6 of these in the next couple weeks - awsome as a lightswitch replacement - and very neat installed in a wall

FYI, All the work is done on the server, the mid just passes commands along, as the mid is pretty slow for most things, but its working great for this

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

any chance of some photos
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Gangsta
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2010

Yeah, no problem - give me a day or two (i have no lights at all just now, halfway through running wires and still have some live ends to deal with)

If anyone has bought a maplin mid, an decided it wasn't for them - let me know how much you want

Comment

• Gangsta
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jan 2010

the first pics of the maplin MID lightswitch

note: my sliders are too small just now - makes it hard - they are only half the width of my finger and need high accuracy to drag - will make them bigger soon

sorry about the quality - from my phone
                      Attached Files

Comment

• philw
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Feb 2010

very nice, im new to all this {this is first post!} could or have u roughly explained how all that works?

Comment

• Gangsta
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jan 2010

Well the short version is:

All the lighting circuits run to a central location in my house, they are connected to DMX dimming packs (£65 each for 12 channels/lights) x 4 in my case

The DMX dimming pack is controlled by a USB - DMX interface £40 x 1

I have a server PC setup that talks to the DMX interface

The touchscreen PC in the photo is running a shockwave flash movie in fullscreen mode (the bit with the sliders)

so we end up with touchscreen->flash->network->server->DMX->Dimmer->Lights

Hope this helps, but if you have any specific questions please ask, and I'll try my best to help.

Comment

Working...
                          X