• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jameswilson
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2009

HA Project

Hi im a security software developer.
    Im looking at writing a base app to run to start with the intruder alarm, security lighting, access control and heating.

The security side is already written, i have a 10" touchscreen monitor that i will flush mount and connect to an atom type mobo that will be the front end. It may also be the main unit as i wont be running media through it so the power req should be low.
    I have already written the RS232 link to the galaxy dimension Control panel that will run the security side. But im having a few problems deciding on the heating control side.
    The boiler i have has various inputs on it that i can control from the pc. I have found 2 types of inline valves that i can attach to each radiator feed (Im looking at wired units as the wireless ones seem restrictive) I have found a wax based valve which appears to be low voltage. Im supposing the advantage to this is i can vary the flow by adjusting the input V. Alternativly i can just use a normal motorised valve.
    But I dont know how to get a temp reading from each room. Ideally id like a wireless solution. A battery powered transmitter (blank etc) in each room (currently 10) so that i can control teh temp in each room, and use various factors like pir activity, night, comfort, door left open etc etc.
    I have found some Z-wave units but none seem ideal. Plus i want to develop this in .net (vb) and have found a libary that will make life a lot easier. Cabling the temp sensors is not impossible but i would prefer not to as some places are impossible to get to without chasing/trunking.
    Any advice?

*edit
    On the Z-Wave front i would prefer to use something with a good selection of modules, either wired or wireless as i want to extend it over the months into full HA. Im not against homeseer etc but I usually write my own app as i find it much more flexible as it develops.

James
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Have a look at our Heating and control forum thread on House Heat http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ead.php?t=2050
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jameswilson
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2009

I have looked at the house heat system. And if i could read the temp and control the valves directly this would be ideal. However from what i have read this does not seem to be the case.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Have a look at RFXCOM http://www.rfxcom.com/ They do many wireless interfaces and temp sensors.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X