• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TT_Gully
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2009

Lighting Setup Question

Hi

I am fairly new to X10 but have read through all the X10 forum posts and trawled the internet attempting to learn as much as possible.

I think I know what I need to purchase and want to start fairly simple but have the capacity to expand without wasting too much time or money along the way.

What I am trying to do initially is to control the lighting within the lounge area of my house. This will consist of a number of ceiling down lights which will either be mains or low voltage. I was planning on arranging them in a matrix of 3 rows with 3 or 4 lights in each row. Ie

O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O

O . . . . . O . . . . . O . . . . O

O . . . . . O . . . . . O . . . . O

(O represents a light source)

What I would like to then do is control this matrix using X10 modules to create various scenes. The type of scenes I am looking to create are quite simple ie all lights on full, all lights 50%, All lights off except 3 which are used to light the seating area. Ie

X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X

X . . . . . X . . . . . X . . . . X

X . . . . . O . . . . . O . . . . O

(O represents a light source, X represents a light turned off)

I was planning on having 3 separate lighting circuits to give various scene options and to ensure that any minimum X10 module wattage is attainted. So the question is which modules do I need?

I was going to purchase a CM15Pro to allow macro options and also timer control so I can add a security element making the house “look lived in” when not at home.

Switch wise I was looking at the SS13E and or a KR22 to allow control of the lights but not sure how to control the various scenes from these devises. Will they allow one of the buttons to perform a macro ? Eventually I would be looking to install a Marmitek EasyTouch Panel10 or similar to control more than just the lights.

As I need to be able to dim the lights I am not sure which module to actually use. I have checked the wiring for the lights and they use junction boxes in the roof space. There are 4 wires, Feed In, Feed Out, Switch and then Light so acces to Neutral wires shoudl not be a problem. Would it be possible to wire into these using one of the wired type modules, Micro Module or DIN module? I have see notes on some modules saying that they must be placed in an enclosure, any ideas on which types would be suitable? Is one module better than another ie noise when switching, reliability, flexibility ?

Does anyone have any recommendation of where to buy the modules from? Any good / bad experiences?

Sorry for all the questions but would like to get a good plan together before starting drilling holes in the ceiling.

Thanks and look forward to the replies
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

1st, think bulbs. Old style bulbs are being phased out, and the new low energy bulbs have problems being dimmed or can effect X10. There are various discussions on this forum about light bulbs - suggest that is your 1st port of call.

In terms of X10 control, as the wiring is going to be fairly complex, and I assume you want the bulbs recessed into the ceiling, I would start by looking at the LW12 controller/dimmer unit - wiring these into the light chain, hidden inside the ceiling/floor gap.

Depending on the bulb load, you should be able to control a set of 3 or 4 bulbs from one unit.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• TT_Gully
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The lights I was considering would be the GU10 type either mains or 12V with lamps of 20w-50w dependant on the number we need to give a good spread of light. I have read on other posts that the Energy Efficient lamps will not work so was going to stick with the normal halogen type.

Looking at the module you have suggested the LW12 does this need to have a switch as I was hoping to just use the SS13E so avoiding any switch rewiring as there is only 1 switch at the moment and I would require 3. I thought about the LM12W ?

Comment

• jaffab
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2008

Both units will work - you only need a switch to program up the X10 address on the unit I suggeested - once set, you dont need a switch in place as it can be controlled by X10.

Apart from my suggestion being slightly smaller, and the LM12W have dials for the X10 commands, they do the same job/function.

Suggest you just compare the load limits of the two units, and compare them to the total of the lights to be attached.

Comment

• TT_Gully
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2009

Thanks again for the reply. Will check the loads and see which will give sufficient capacity. We are not sure yet how many lights and of what capacity we will need further investigation on that front.

Any suggestions of good places to order the X10 modules from. Have seen a few posts on kit which has been faulty or damaged is there a company you would recommend ? Given that there is quite a price difference between the 2 modules ie Ł31 for the micro module and Ł18 for the LM12W is there any other draw backs in using the LM12W module ie noise of switching, reliability ?
          Last edited by TT_Gully; 9 December 2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• jaffab
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Dec 2008

Well, the 3 places where those on the forum normally purchase kit are:

or

or if you are feeling very lucky, then there is always

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

You could also try www.intellihome.be they are quite reasonable and offer free shipping on orders over about 140 euros or so to anywhere in Europe.
              IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

for actual lighting modules the LW12 inwall module is pretty good. It doesn't need a local switch, unless you want it to have one.
                Something I have used in my office is a TC284 this unit is a basic X10 programmable controller. You can set it up so that lights only stay on for a set amount of time, set up scene control, normal on or off plus dimming, you can program it with macros which can be triggered locally or by an x10 command. It has eight individually programmable buttons. I have mine set up to control three rows of lights with rows one to three being the on and off buttons and row four does the dimming for which ever set of lights was last activated. It also has eight LEDs so you can see the status of the lights useful if the unit is not in the same room.
                I can send you the spec sheet if you want
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TT_Gully
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Dec 2009

Hi thanks for the reply. If you could send over the details for the TC284 that would be great. The more information and kit to choose from the better.

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

Hi haven't forgot. We have been without power for over 40 hours, its just come back so hope to get that info to you soon.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X