• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

Difference - CM11, CM12 and CM15

Hello All,

Well, after a few weeks batteling, my X10 system is back up and running - and all my problems were down to the good (bad) old computer interface - the CM11U - which despite my making extra cooling holes, decided it no longer wanted to receive any X10 commands in until I had left it unplugged for 24 hours (no batteries in it since it was installed, so much have been a heat issue).

Looking around, and from my own posts and replies from others, we all know that the CM11U is a load of old tosh. However, not willing to invest £450+ for a HomeVision control box (yes, it does all good things, but I just want to get and send X10 via the computer).

So, can somebody explain what the differences are between the CM11U, CM12 and CM15pro.

For instance, I believe that the CM15pro is much more stable. BUT, looking at the pictures, it does not have a plug - so how do the X10 signals get out? And is the CM15pro better at dealing with the heat/hang issues?

Also, does the CM15pro work via serial, or just USB?

Many thanks in advance

Jaffa
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com
  • peterpc
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2009

The CM15Pro is the follow up of the CM11/12.
    It has new ActiveHomePro software and only a USB connection.
    It is also connected to the mains for PLC X-10.
    It has an RF antenna and can receive AND transmit X-10RF.

You can also download your settings and use it standalone.

Comment

• jaffab
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2008

Thanks. However, following your reply, I did some investigation on the CM15Pro, and it appears that whilst it has all the pros to suggest a purchase (does not overheat so much, much fast in sending/receiving signals than the CM11U, less likley to loose X10 signals), it has a big down side.

Whilst most USB devices can be mapped to a COM port for communication via the serial-to-USB software, this does not allow it, so any software which only works with Serial communication will not work.

My home brew works via the CM11A.ocx which opens a com port - and whilst the two devices would work by talking the same protocol, if I cant open the CM15 via a pseudo com port, it will not work for me.

Can you (or anybody) confirm that this is the case?
      __________________________________________________ _______________________
      My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Yes it is a dedicated USB rather than a usb to serial converter like the cm11.
        I do know that x10 (as in the company) have released a software development kit for it this used to be free, but I don't know now.
        But you may be able to emulate a serial port try Googling for virtual serial ports or virtual USB ports or something along those lines. Also try this forum http://www.st.com/mcu/forums-cat-339-12.html
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Creagan
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jul 2009

An old post, but... my two pence worth:

I have been using the CM15 for a while now - about a year, and have had no heat problems at all - and the only time it was switched on/off was during power cuts.

What I really like about it, is that you can have several applications access/monitor it at the same time.

I have ActiveHome Pro running, some custop C' app, and a x10 monitoring app, and they all work happily together.

I would definately recommend it!

Comment

Working...
          X