• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miked1900
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2009

Two extensions from master BT socket?

Can you have two phone extensions connected to a BT master socket? One is for braodband and the other is for a standard telephone?

Thanks for any advice

Mike
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Yes, no problem at all, just make sure you fit microfilters to each extn socket, or better still get an ADSL faceplate for the front of the NTE5
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• miked1900
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2009

Great, just what I needed to hear. So I take it the cables for each extension go into the same idc?

Now this is where it gets interesting!

I have 3 sockets in my house. The original master socket that used to be upstairs in the master bedroom. This is where the cable from the street was originally connected. When I had Broadband installed many years ago, BT fitted a new socket downstairs which had a filtered faceplate. This was not connected to the former master socket at all. It looked like it was split from the main cable coming from the pole into my house. I also had an extension connected to the upstairs socket.

A couple of months ago, I had problems with my telephone line being constantly engaged, so BT arranged for an engineer to be sent. To cut a long story short this is what he did.

Replaced the master socket upstairs with a standard BT socket. Changed the Broadband socket downstairs to a master with a external ADSL filter (not a filtered faceplate like I had before). When I opened the upstairs socket the two black cables coming from the street and now joined together and then connected to IDC, the other extension is also linked to the upstairs socket.

I think this is the reason why my broadband speed dropped from 8mb to 2mb after his visit. No matter how many times I contact BT they are unwilling to send anyone to investigate.

What can I do to clear up this mess and help restore my former connection speed. If It helps I can attach a picture of the inside of the upstairs socket.

Any help would be much appreciated, this has been driving me crazy!!!

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X