X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Dimmable LED lighting

There was a comment on the press release about wanting to know the lumen and beam angle values so here is a PDF with this info.
    Unfortunately the file is too big to attach here so here is a link to it www.casatech.eu/downloads/dimmable.pdf
    The lights come in three different beam angles 15, 30 and 60 degrees.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • wywywywy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2005

Sounds very interesting.
    I look forward to seeing a review!!

Comment

• wywywywy
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2005

Philips has just come out with AFFORDABLE-ish dimmable LED GU10 bulbs.

There are also cheaper variants using Cree available on eBay. Warm white is available. The Philips one is around £25-£30 each.

I am guessing the trick is that it basically has a wide-voltage input transformer built into it. Plus other electronics like the PWM driver etc of course.

They are claimed to be able to dim all the way down to 10%, using a conventional dimmer... really?!

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

yes but yes but the luminous flux is rubbish for the Philips. Our 3W are the same as their 7W.
        And I can write my name in the snow
        Last edited by toscal; 22 January 2010, 08:09 PM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• rarem
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2009

Toscal - are these fittings adjustable or fixed (i.e. can you direct the light beam of the fitting)?

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

At the moment no but we are working on an adjustable version.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
              • Feb 2009

Are these compatible with trailing or leading edge dimmers? Do you know how linear the dimming quality is and is it stepless (i.e. does it fade smoothly throughout it's range)?

I'm curious to test these at home to see if they really do have the ability to replace conventional 50W 12V halogen spots, both in terms of maximum output and also dimming performance with my lighting controls. Depending on the linearity of the dimming I may have to adjust the dimming curve used by the dimmer modules to make it appear linear in use (i.e. 50% dimmer channel setting gives 50% light output) but in my case my controls allow that kind of flexibility.

Are they available yet or is their an anticipated date for launch?
              Sensible Heat
              SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

They are available now, but we now have a waiting list of about 3 to 4 weeks.
                We have tested them on a conventional normal mains dimmer. But as yet haven't tried it on any type of electronic style dimmer.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

Just a quick update. The dimmable LED lights have had a bit of a setback. They are not that stable, seem to lose stability after a while.Needless to say we are working on a solution. We hope that this will only take a month to sort out. We will keep you posted.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Nov 2007

If I was to forego any dimming capability for the time being, is GU10 LED lighting a realistic option for my kitchen. If so which bulbs would you recommend?
                    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Nov 2007

This is the room layout with my guess at light fitting placement...

The room is 5m by 3.5m and the ceiling is 2.8m high with joists running sink to table.

Would these bulbs be appropriate? http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GULED5WW.html they seem to be offering a low temperature warm white and a 38 degree beam angle. also what fittings should I install?

I've laid the fittings out slightly from the cabinets to try and prevent shadows underneath but I'll also be installing some undercabinet lighting.

Comment

• toscal
                        • Oct 2005

I would say its OK, if that price includes p+p but bear in mind that
                        We do a 3W LED GU10 that is 150Lumens 30 degree beam angle. We also do 6W GU10 that are 380 to 410 lumens depending on Warm White or cool white, with a 60 degree beam angle.
                        If you want more information then PM me, I can also email you the link to our catalogue, and price list.
                        If you want to see if the light is ok, for your kitchen you might want to give Dialux a try its free. http://www.dial.de/CMS/English/Artic..._it_es_cn.html
                        Basic brushed aluminium or stainless steel light fittings always look good.
                        Such as these http://www.bdc.co.uk/lighting/downli...r-MM31152.html or http://www.bdc.co.uk/lighting/downli...hrMM31133.html
                        My only concern with the layout is where you have no wall units it may not be as bright as you may need it, especially over the sink.
                        Last edited by toscal; 5 April 2010, 04:32 PM.
                        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Nov 2007

Good advice thanks. Pm sent.

I could probably squeeze in a lamp directly above the sink there. It wouldn't be equally spaced like the others but I don't think it'll look out of place or odd especially as it's purpose of lighting the sink area will be clear. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X