• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • back_ache
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2009

dimmable cfl's messing up me telly

I've just had a wierd problem.

I bought some cheap dimmable warm-white cfl's ("econutters" 20w, four for twenty quid).

but found a wierd problem, it blocked my infrared set-top box remote control! needless to say I'm back to an filament lamp for now!

has anyone else come across this and is so know of any dimmable cfls or led's that don't cause the problem?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I had a similar problem in a flat I rented a while ago. All the lighting was supplied by those fluorescent down light things with G24 bulbs/tubes. The TV remote only worked if you sat right in front of it making sure you where pointing the remote at the IR eye on the TV. If you sat to one side the remote wouldn't work. And the remote for the Hi-Fi and video where both hit and miss and more miss.
    All LED lighting shouldn't give off any IR (unless its an IR LED) as its basically tuned out, depending on the substrate used. The substrate give you the colour. Except for the white ones. As this is normally a blue LED with a phosphor coating which is why many people think the cold white has a blue tinge to it. Though some do it with RGB LEDs.
    See the press release on dimmable LED lighting on the main Automated home website http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...d-Dimmers.html and this post http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ead.php?t=2583
    Last edited by toscal; 9 January 2010, 06:22 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• richms
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by back_ache View Post
      I've just had a wierd problem.

I bought some cheap dimmable warm-white cfl's ("econutters" 20w, four for twenty quid).

but found a wierd problem, it blocked my infrared set-top box remote control! needless to say I'm back to an filament lamp for now!

has anyone else come across this and is so know of any dimmable cfls or led's that don't cause the problem?
      This happens with all CFLs to a degree. Depends on their PWM frequency. Loads of IR from the warm white lamps as well which is what most people go for.

There may be other brands that are a different frequency that affect it less.

Comment

Working...
      X