• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davelee212
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2010

Controlling sockets and ceiling lights

Hi all

I have a set of three remote controlled plug in socket "things" (the type that you plug into a socket then an applicance plugs into that). I use two for table lamps in the living room and one for the transformer for the low voltage garden lights. They are all controlled from one remote. It's not an x10 system or anything, just a basic kit I bought year ago at homebase or something. The living room also has two ceiling lights control from a standard 1 gang two way dimmer switch.

What I'd ideally like to do is have them all controlled from one remote. I'd like to be able to control the ceiling lights independantly (including the dimming) and be able to switch the table lamps and garden lights on and off.

I had a look into x10 gear but couldn't see anything that did quite what I'm after. It's the ceiling lights that throw the spanner in the works really. What I'd ideally like is an single gang x10 dimmer switch for two lights but nothing quite like that exists. I did see a wall mounted 4 switch panel on a site but it's a long thin item (ie US size) so wouldn't fit. I'm also guessing it's purely an x10 set of switches so wouldn't hook into the wires where the current light switch does.

Can anyone point me in the direction of gear that might help me achieve what I'm after?

cheers

Dave
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Dual X10 modules have been around for some time.
    http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=70 or

Are these the sort of things you are looking for.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• davelee212
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2010

Hi Toscal

So if I went for a two load lamp micro module, I would be able to switch/dim the lights from the existing dimmer and from an x10 controller?

What would happen if you had one of the lights switched on manually at the switch then switched it off with an x10 remote? Well, I guess it would go off. But what if the next person comes in the room and wants to switch the light on at the switch. It would already be switched on?

Sorry if this sounds really silly, just want to be clear how it works and make sure if intuitive enough for girlfriend/visitors to use without having to explain it! It's already difficult enough explaining how to switch sources on the av amplifier!

thanks

Dave

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

The module connects to momentary push switches, so you can't use your existing dimmer switch. If you say switch it on at the switch then turn it off with an X10 controller the module is off, so the next person can use either the switch or an x10 command. It's like a 2 way switch, turn on from one place and switch off from another and when the next person comes along any switch will turn the light on or off. Hope that all makes sense got the kids running riot at the moment
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• davelee212
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2010

Thanks for the reply. yeah that makes sense. the current switch has three buttons; one for on/off, one for dim up one for dim down.

With the x10 setup, would the single push to make button control dimming if held down? Is that how it'd work?

thinks mate, hope the kids aren't playing up too much!

Dave

Comment

• sooty7
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by davelee212 View Post
            Hi all

I have a set of three remote controlled plug in socket "things" (the type that you plug into a socket then an applicance plugs into that). I use two for table lamps in the living room and one for the transformer for the low voltage garden lights. They are all controlled from one remote. It's not an x10 system or anything, just a basic kit I bought year ago at homebase or something. The living room also has two ceiling lights control from a standard 1 gang two way dimmer switch.

What I'd ideally like to do is have them all controlled from one remote. I'd like to be able to control the ceiling lights independantly (including the dimming) and be able to switch the table lamps and garden lights on and off.

I had a look into x10 gear but couldn't see anything that did quite what I'm after. It's the ceiling lights that throw the spanner in the works really. What I'd ideally like is an single gang x10 dimmer switch for two lights but nothing quite like that exists. I did see a wall mounted 4 switch panel on a site but it's a long thin item (ie US size) so wouldn't fit. I'm also guessing it's purely an x10 set of switches so wouldn't hook into the wires where the current light switch does.

Can anyone point me in the direction of gear that might help me achieve what I'm after?

cheers

Dave
            If you are in the UK, you might also want to check out the Home Easy range. There are single and 2 gang touch dimmers that replace a standard UK light switch and also double sockets, again replacing standard UK sockets.

The only real issue with the dimmers is that ideally you need a 35mm deep back box or a spacer to get the dimmer hardware in. The sockets should fit in a 25mm back box.

They can all be controlled locally or with RF remotes.

Paul..

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by davelee212 View Post
              Thanks for the reply. yeah that makes sense. the current switch has three buttons; one for on/off, one for dim up one for dim down.

With the x10 setup, would the single push to make button control dimming if held down? Is that how it'd work?

thinks mate, hope the kids aren't playing up too much!

Dave
              That's correct. Are your buttons for dim up and down momentary. I assume they would be it maybe possible to use these to control the X10 module.
              The kids settled down, I put a Disney film on for the kids, I would recommend anyone with children to get some sort of media centre i have transferred all their films on to it. NO more hunting for the DVD which is scratched to what nots and won't play properly.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
              X