X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Xbmc

Been playing with XBMC the last couple of days. I think its great, so much so that my old pinnacle showcenter 1000G is now consigned to the gadget graveyard in the garage. Though I've got plans for it.
    Originally I was looking at Mythtv as a replacement as I though that XBMC was only for the Xbox. But it now runs under various operating systems. I used the XBMC live version which can run straight from the CD in standalone mode, or has an option to install.
    Installation is very simple. Getting my XBMC to see my NAS caused a few headaches. But one was due to my router as I have MAC address filtering. But I got there,and the other was just me being silly and setting the wrong thing.
    I'm running it on a micro-ATX gigabyte mother board with an AMD X64 CPU, DVD rom, 40 GB hard drive and 1GB of ram. Running it through the VGA connections on the PC and TV at the moment, but will be switching to DVI connections tomorrow, when I get a cable. Sound will eventually be run via a decent sound card with SPDIF output, though the sound sounds OK, but could be better.
    There are quite a few plugins for it too. The TVCatchup one looks interesting but I need to get a VPN connection set upon the system for me to use it. Oh well I like a challenge.
    First impressions so far are very good. The GUI is good, but for somethings it gets a bit hard to navigate like selecting different audio tracks on DVD's.

The Zotac Mag Ion dual core atom PCs look like a good combination for this.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • wywywywy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2005

People have been using the Acer Aspire Revo, a Ion nettop that fits behind a VESA mount, for XBMC because it is only like £150 or so and has enough power to decode 1080p, and that makes it perfect.

Boxee is a good alternative to XBMC too.

However, I still won't use XBMC or Boxee or Plex because its Live TV support is still very immature 7MC it is for me...

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Have to agree about the live TV support, But the TVCatchup plugin which enables you to watch Live tv is a step in the right direction. The Acer Revo looks good, but I have seen on some forums that it needs extra memory to run XBMC. But then there are some who say the 1GB is fine.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• wywywywy
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2005

Thanks! I didn't know about the TVCatchup service until you mentioned it (shame on me...) and yes that WILL solve a lot of problems! Until Freeview HD goes live perhaps?

And I just found out it works on the PS3 too!!! Yay!

Unfortunately though I am on a 30GB broadband plan

As for the Revo, even if it needs extra ram, its still cheap as chips anyway.

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Another one for live TV is http://www.lonelycoder.com/hts/tvheadend_overview.html
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X