PC to control mains power supply to a heater.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmetford
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2010

PC to control mains power supply to a heater.

I want to use my PC to switch on/off the power supply to a 2.5Kw storage heater at my place of work.
    At the moment I have a PC there which I can control remotely to divert the landline phone to the desired number and that's fine. I'd now like to use that PC to control the heating in my office.
    In particular I want to know how to connect the PC to some electronically controlled switchgear (presumably) but I don't know where to start or how to do this. Also I'll need some appropriate software that can operate the switch to the heater.
    There may well be some simple off-the-shelf package I could buy which you could tell me about or give me some advice as to what components to get etc.
    Thanks for your help.
    Tim
  • tmetford
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2010

Is it possible to connect a PC to the 30amp Relay Switch?

I've looked at the links you've supplied and they're up the right street, thank you.
    Ideally I'd like to be able to send a signal from a PC to a relay switch to turn the power on or off (plus some timer facility if possible). In other words, with regard to the wireless GSM Remote Control Switch, I don't need the mobile telephone part of this device, just the facility to supply the signal via a PC.
    Is this possible?
    If so, what component/device/cable/PC port (i.e. COM 1, USB, Parallel port) would connect the PC to the relay switch?
    Also, is there any software that could be customised to enable the sending of the signal to the relay switch?
    Thank you for your patience.
    Tim

Comment

• tmetford
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2010

That kind of thing but it's a bit pricey!

Hi, and thank you for the suggestions.
      The Barionet™ network-enabled automation interface would be just great but it's a bit pricey. The Netiom also looks like a good candidate (and within my kind of buget) and I will need some additional technical knowledge to properly understand what I'm buying and how install it.
      However, having looked at the manual provided for the Netiom it looks pretty straightforward, I think (maybe I should be looking at reading a Dummies Guide first, perhaps!)
      So, my next question concerns the relay switches themselves - where's the best place to buy them and would a 30amp mains rating be best and where should the switch be mounted (e.g. in the consumer unit itself or in it's own plastic box).
      Cheers
      Tim
      Last edited by tmetford; 17 January 2010, 06:44 PM. Reason: Further Questions

Comment

• tmetford
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jan 2010

Where's the best place to buy a relay switch?

Hi, I've come round to the idea that the Netiom would be good place for me to start and build this (and a future) project around it.
        My question is:
        Where is a good place to buy a relay switch (mains 240v 30amp'ish)?
        What type of relay/contactor would I need to switch the storage heater on?
        Thanks for your help.
        Tim
        Last edited by tmetford; 17 January 2010, 10:47 PM. Reason: addiitonal question

Comment

• TimH
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by tmetford View Post
          Hi, I've come round to the idea that the Netiom would be good place for me to start and build this (and a future) project around it.
          Think about getting the xAP-enabled version to open up a bit more interoperability.

My question is:
          Where is a good place to buy a relay switch (mains 240v 30amp'ish)?
          RS or "Radio Spares", http://rswww.com, or CPC (www.cpc.co.uk), Farnell (www.farnell.co.uk) are all trusted/respected suppliers.

What type of relay/contactor would I need to switch the storage heater on?
          Thanks for your help.
          Tim
          Really depends on what type of heater it is, how it is currently wired in, what it's kW rating is, etc. Generally relays are used for smaller loads and contactors for higher loads. Nothing to stop you using using a contactor in place of a relay though, just be prepared for a heftier "clunk" as it operates

You might find you need an intermediate power supply, so the PC drives the relay board, the relay closure applies separate 12V (or whatever) power to the contactor which finally pulls in and powers the heater, instead of the PC closing the contactor directly.

HTH,

Tim (the other one!)
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

• Gangsta
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2010

If you are in any way handy with electronics, eg can identify parts, and can solder - you could build this for very little money (about £15 max), assuming you have a parallel or serial port in your pc. for parallel (printer) interface is just a diode, small mosfet, and a resistor + relay. Most redily available relays are 12v, isnt it handy that any desktop PC comes with both 5v and 12v rails, you can get a little extension to extend outside the case for a pound or two. A 2.5kW resistive load can easily be handled by a 16Amp relay. The 30Amp relay you mention would handle 7.2kW, mabey a bit overkill?

If you dont understand what I have written, buy a product off the shelf - as you could burn your office down.

Comment

Working...
            X