• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaeldon
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2009

Hi Tim

Thanks for the ideas

How good is 3G coverage? Could you offer a deal whereby they rent a USB modem for the duration of their stay? PAYG services are available in the UK for £2 per day, or from around £15/month for a contract.
    Yes we do this but we charge for it. People are not to happy to pay for it so I would rather provide a free service which is also cheap for me

then coming in through the window from outside could be a possibility, depending on access, number of floors, number of properties to be covered etc.
    No can do I am afraid unless we put the leaky feeder outdoors on the facade. These properties are in city centres - so no gardens!

I would’ve thought that an active device (i.e. an access point) would have better range than a passive cable, but I’m happy to be proved wrong
    Probably you are right but the advantage of leaky cable is you can direct it better to where you want it to go. I used to work at Nokia and they used leaky feeders in bendy tunnels for example when the GSM signal could not be fired right through the tunnel from an antenna in a straight line.

The other thought that struck me was the possibility of providing a “local” adsl service – i.e. giving each household their own router linked back via the existing phone line to a mini-exchange on-site
    This was my first thought, but those cables belong to the phone company and they are likely not possible to intercept at the entrance.

We are looking into Powerline and the Actiontec now. If either of those work that would be by far the easiest solution for new buildings in the future. A high power wireless device would also be great if it really could radiate much further than standard wifi. Leaky cable I would have thought would only be good for occasional cases. Remember I am looking for a one-size-fits-all solution. At least as is far as possible.

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TimH View Post
      However, I would’ve thought that an active device (i.e. an access point) would have better range than a passive cable, but I’m happy to be proved wrong

The other thought that struck me was the possibility of providing a “local” adsl service – i.e. giving each household their own router linked back via the existing phone line to a mini-exchange on-site before being connected into the telephone company's network. I’m not sure the costs would pan out for a small development, and the local phone co. may not be too happy either…

How good is 3G coverage? Could you offer a deal whereby they rent a USB modem for the duration of their stay? PAYG services are available in the UK for £2 per day, or from around £15/month for a contract.

HTH,

Tim.
      3G coverage isn't brilliant in Spain. Even in the main cities it can sometimes be patchy, I gave up with my Nokia and switched the 3G off. Though Vodaphone does some very good deals at the moment here in Spain. But in reality you would need one 3G account per flat and it can be slow.one of my sales reps has it and when you are used to 3Mb broadband the 3G is slow.
      The leaky cable isn't really passive. As you need a hi-power access point and the leaky cable just replaces the normal antenna. Where the leaky cable works well is when you need to have more than one access point, to cover an area. It works really well in hotels. And quite often if you need more than one access point to cover an area you can do it cheaper with leaky cable.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
      X