Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My-Digital-House(.co.uk)

Automated Home Sr Member MrFluffy's Avatar

If its any help you can send sky boxes remote control codes down the RF2 input sockets as a set of frequencies. Its *MUCH* more reliable than trying to do IR into the eye. No more coming home to recordings on the wrong channel with 01 in the channel input at the start

Joeseph heenan does a usb dongle along with sourcecode for windows/linux that sends the codes out if anyones doing this with a server instead of a custom pic. Its a doddle to intergrate with mythtv by dint of triggering the compiled code as a external channel changer script. Ive always found joeseph really helpful to deal with, so he may even provide you with additional input about how it works if its not documented sufficiently on his site.
    http://www.dusky-control.com/

Ive never had a lockup that my myth system couldnt recover a sky box from once I started using these units...

Automated Home Jr Member Gangsta's Avatar

I have one of Joseph's boxes (an RS232 version) - dont like usb and avoid it whenever possible, lets be honest what 'seems' more reliable a connector that pulls out if you breath anywhere near it (USB) or has big locking screws holding it onto the computer (RS232) - I know which route id choose. As an added bonus - as more of my gear gets ported over to the PICs its soooooooo much easier to use RS232, and even my little PIC12F629s can control RS232 equipment.

I would highly recommend the dusky controls box for controlling your sky box.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
    you can follow my blog at http://graham.my-digital-house.co.uk as i tend to update that every day or two.
    is the website still up and running? I'm keen to have a read - sounds awesome. I get the message that the server cannot be found? Thanks

From a Whois lookup.....

Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 15-Jan-2010
    Renewal date: 15-Jan-2012
    Last updated: 18-Jan-2011

Registration status:
    Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
    No name servers listed.

.... so I guess that at the present time the answer is No
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    From a Whois lookup.....

Name servers:
    No name servers listed.

.... so I guess that at the present time the answer is No
    Boo. Sounded like it'd be a quality read!

tomkent45

Yeah, please, some pics. Thanks for sharing

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi, i am the OP of this thread, apologies that I fell off the planet. Personal stuff and what-not. Anyway, since I was last on I have bought a new house (not derelict, but EVERYTHING needs done). So i will be starting a new proect thread shortly. If anyone still has any questions about the old setup please feel free to ask.

My new setup will be a much lower power consumption version, no PCs - all microcontroller. Raspberry Pi's replacing the xbox's, and more redundancy/failsafe bits and bobs. Also going to be designing and building power monitoring at the socket for the full house. As before, im happy to post code, schematics etc - so if you wantbto know how i did something please ask.

Graham

Welcome back Graham! I know myself and others will be looking forward to your new project write-ups.

Have been looking to leverage the Rasberry Pi's somehow, instead of PC's

Vangelis

Automated Home Jr Member

I have started the thread for the new house here http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...-begins-Again-)