• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zion
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2008

Easiest option for multiple switches

Hi all,

I'm about to ask my Electrician to rewire my dining room and kitchen with X10 kit. Both rooms have about 400W worth of GU10 halogens. We'd like both rooms to be dimmable.

Both rooms have 3 separate light switches placed around the room and I'd like to change these to momentary switches.

The two options I'm considering are

1) LDLL in the consumer unit and rewire all 3 switches in each room to trigger the LD11 momentarily

2) LDLL in the consumer unit wired only to the *lights* and then use micromodules in the light switches to transmit the signal to the LD11. That way the switches do not need to be directly connected to the LD11. Then rewire the switches somehow.

Given the likely current wiring situation, is either of these options likely to be more suitable? Am I right in thinking that 2) doesn't really work because the micromodules will need to have some load attached to them anyway - i.e. the lights?

Thanks,

Z.
    Last edited by zion; 9 February 2010, 02:53 PM.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

You can get micro modules that only transmit commands, I have some. Will let you know later today what the model numbers are. they are not cheap but may be cheaper than running the cable back to the LD11 in the consumer unit. Or you could use micromodules and just forget the LD11 all together. We can supply a special adapter for the micromodules so they will fit into the consumer unit.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• KW1816
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2004

IIRC The transmitter micro modules I have require a neutral connection which you don't normally find at a lightswitch. Only the dimmer modules can be fitted in line between load and switched return.

Might be something to keep in mind ?

As Toscal says, the other option is to go with dimming micromodules behind the lightswitch. I'm also using some of these, both the LW12 version which needs a momentary switch and a couple of the 'X10 2' 2 wire micromodules which can be used with any on/off light switch.

Cheers
      Kevin W.

Comment

Working...
      X