• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrFluffy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2005

Wood furnace heating pack

Heres an off the wall one. Has anyone here done anything towards automating the control or alerting for a wood furnace?
    Not a traditional device you find in an automated house, but we live miles from nowhere with no gas and electricity is expensive, so we've gone with a wood/oil multifuel as the best option.

We've got a HS Tarm OT50, which controls its water loop temperature itself by controlling its flap dampers so therefore self regulates until the wood runs out, at which point it flicks onto its backup heat source (oil burner).
    It has a aquastat which turns on and off the main circulator to stop the boiler having load on it until its up to 40degC (to minimise creasote formation) and a overheat control which lets it dump main loop heat into a heatsink radiator to stop itself overheating.

I have *NO* intention of replacing the controls themselves, as theyre simple and mechanical and do a great job and are certified as ok for the house insurance to stop a runaway fire blowing the boiler up, however, Id like to somehow monitor it so I can see what temperature the tank is at without trudging to the utility room, get an alert that the temp is dropping so I can stop what Im doing and go throw some more trees into it before the fire goes out and it runs on oil etc. I might be busy in the workshop and the whole house system can alert me that I need to go in and put fuel in or something.

Id also like to know when its getting too hot, and maybe trend the output and how well its tracking the controls, see what time of year requires what output, maybe even find a way to see how efficient its burning etc, if it needs more thermal mass and other niceties.
    So before I grab some dallas ds18s20's and start taping them to pipes etc and connect them back to some network capable device to roll my own, is there a easier way to achieve this?
    A box, network connected with either web based or snmp or something reporting would be the ideal so I can sew its output into our house server.
  • MrFluffy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2005

Seek and yea shall find...

So, a ha7net, some ds18s20's out the parts bin and bobs yer uncle, temperatures by snmp across ethernet.

Be rude not to extend the monitoring a little to outside temps etc... Maybe put the ha7net in the data closet, run serials out to furnace, outside and ufh systems. Then I could switch the ufh relays remotely through the ha7net interface to some relays without having the relays hanging off a parallel port. I feel feature creep about to happen
    Hmmm

Arg...
    Im supposed to be finishing the building work for upstairs before getting back into the HA deployment

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

interesting, and no experience, but wouldn't going via Ethernet be overkill for this ?

and, if feature-creep is a real threat, how about hanging some sensors off an analogue module & making it the beginning of the Idratek set-up ? !
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 19 February 2010, 09:33 AM.
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• MrFluffy
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Aug 2005

Some experience here since I ran a one wire system on my last house for temperature measurement.
        The HA server which will be doing the controlling is in a outbuildng connected by buried data cables carrying tcp/ip on them, or Id have to have another server in the house somewhere with the associated extra power consumption, while Ive got some spare cables in the trunk that could carry the serial stuff, the one wire bus gets a bit flaky over large distances and if you have a short across a serially connected device somewhere, it brings down the entire bus. So 3 inputs could at least keep the 3 bus's seperate so a bus error would only bring that subsystem down. And the server could poll it via snmp for normal day to day stuff , post up the temperatures on the house display systems etc, and I could remote admin it without having to pop open the heating closet.

I don't think at this stage that I'll be going the idratek route as the requirement to have a windows server and run proprietory software is completely at odds to the direction I want to go in. But on the plus side, ive already got a load of buried cat6e I can use for ethernet to strategic points in the house

Comment

• MrFluffy
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Aug 2005

I was idly thinking about this device today, and the $200 per unit its going to cost, and its really just a embedded device with some ethernet and a web server, just like a linksys wrt54g running openwrt...
          So I googled, and lo and behold someones already been there before me...
          As the central Slovenian laboratory in the field of product design, we will become a leader in Europe in the field of development methods and techniques for design, development of non-metallic mechanical drives, special products and special solutions. We will achieve this through the intensive use of supercomputers and other advanced digital technologies.

Ive reflashed wrt54g's to white russian firmware (linux, with real sshd etc) and used them for all sorts of things besides actually being access points. Not sure why I didnt think of checking beforehand...

Soooo back to ebay to scour for another linksys with the right innards (the wrt54 model designation covers about five different chipsets according to revision). Dirty hacks done dirt cheap
          45e vs 200+ per unit. Thats my kind of diy...

Comment

• MrFluffy
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Aug 2005

It gets better, rather than just the digitemp, theres actually a package of OWFS (one wire filesystem) for openwrt, which lets the devices read the temperatures from the ds1820's as if they were simple asci text files on the filesystem...

Comment

Working...
            X