• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • col
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2009

X10 Wall Dimmer Switch problems

Hi, I am having some strange problems with my LW10U Wall switch, I can always switch it on or of manually and can always switch it off via a remote control or via the computer, but can't always turn it on, sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • franktate
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Feb 2007

Hi, I don't think there's a month goes by without my X10 setup doing something unusual. This goes from missing the odd signal to completely baffling scenarios, where one light turns on when another turns off.
    I struggled for years until I finaly got round to using an X10 meter. It's a signal generator and receiver. You plug the generator into 1 plug socket and the receiver into various others.
    Using this I found that the signal strength varied hugely throughout the house. And not in any logical way!
    This gave me the information I needed to place my TM13 in the best position. It also gave me information on what things cause interferance. I then filtered the noisy items and the system is far more reliable now.
    The only problems I've had in the last few months are because I havent read the manual!

Hope this helps.

franktate

Comment

• col
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2009

Yes, thanks for that, do you know where I can get hold of an x10 meter and how much they cost?

Colin

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

You can either buy or rent one from these guys http://www.letsautomate.com/10948.cfm?
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• franktate
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Feb 2007

Yes, I bought mine from Letsautomate. I intended to rent it but kept forgetting to ring for a return number and I eventually just decided to keep it for experimentation.
          If you live anywhere near South Cumbria you can gladly lend it for a few days.

franktate

Comment

Working...
          X