• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chillout
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2010

New lighting

Im totally confused, Im having a rewire and started to look into having lights controlled on circuits etc. Ive been recommended and WISE. Are there any companies out there that offer a service that go through whats needed. I approached Mr Resistor and coming up to 4k so far! Seems alot of cash for a 3 bed semi. Any advice anyone?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

What you need to do is sit down, and write out your lighting requirements for each room. Once you have done this you then decide on what sort of control you want. Do you want dimmers, some sort of home automation control etc.

Getting the lighting right is very important, as you can end up with a room thats too dark or a bright room but has lots of shadows and dark spots.

1. Type of light, LED, Halogen, or CFL
    2. Simple on or off, or dimmer control.
    3. Type of home automation control, from timed on or off. Presence detection. Give you house that lived in look while you are away etc.Telephone control, control via the internet. And about 20 other things that someone else will suggest.
    4. Lighting isn't cheap, so it pays to shop around. And think of the EU directive. A light fitting that looks wow today in a years time you could be struggling to get the bulbs for it. Which is why it was probably being sold cheap.
    5. Always get a second and third opinion and use these forums. And don't assume that your questions are silly. You can only learn by asking questions.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chillout
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2010

Cheers, basically these are my plans at the mo (Mr Resistor recommended WISE but I believe RAKO etc are quite good too.

Hall
      downlights (3) & possibly a flourescent above a cupboard (standard switch)

Thru Lounge/Diner
      Lounge
      1 pendant chandeleir
      2 downlights either side of fireplace above shelves
      Led strips on shelves
      2 downlights on opposite wall where picture(s) will be
      one floor lamp or table lamp
      (To all work off remote control/dimmable & scene setting)

Diner
      Practically same as above but without the shelves
      (To work all off remote control/dimmable & scene setting)

Bed 1
      Central pendant, two downlighters in bay area, two table lamps
      (To work all off remote control/dimmable & scene setting)

Bed 2 (same as bed 1 - scene setting not required due to budget

Bed 3 - Downlights (4)- Standard switch

Landing - downlights (3) Standard switch

Bathroom - downlights (4) standard switch/dimmer

Im also interested in possibly incorporating r/c blinds to the system & audio/visual and any other ideas anyone else may have!
      I believe alot can be ontrolled by txting/PCs but I do not know much about this. One company on here provides alot of home automation but range between 10 - 60k. This is not for me as a) I dont have this sort of £ and b) it will not increase the house value by as much as being spent.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Cheapest home automation solution is X10.
        And can be made to be very reliable but it does take some work.
        With X10 you have a choice of controllers such as the CM15 Pro with ActiveHome Pro software, Homevision www.csi3.com , Homeseer www.homeseer.com .
        I use homevision, has never let me down. Can run on its own and once set up you can probably leave it and forget it. Best bit of home automation kit I have bought.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chillout
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Feb 2010

Looks very impressive, but are they only US based; are there any UK dealers/suppliers that are around?

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Try http://www.letsautomate.com and possibly http://www.laser.com too.

M.
            Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
            www.twitter.com/ottomate
            www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• chillout
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Feb 2010

Cheers, I really need a company that can advise me, as Ive had a look at the sites and Im lost! It seems to aimed at professionals who know all about this stuff!

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

I think you are doing it the correct way, its better to spend a little longer in the research than to rush into something only to find 6months down the line it was the wrong choice.

Both Homevision http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homevision-users/ and Homeseer http://board.homeseer.com/ have forums.And both are very good.
                For audio its got to be Sonos. For a multimedia set up then the XBMC is pretty good. Just built one to replace my Pinnacle showcenter and so far the general consensus from the family is that the XBMC is much much better. www.xbmc.org

I know Homeseer can control the Sonos system and there is talk of XBMC doing the same.

X10 can take care of the blinds and virtually all of the other requirements its just the choice of controller. We did an install a while ago in a house with 5 motorised shutters. All shutters had local control and by the bed was 2 switches one for all up and one for all down. So at night you just pressed the one switch for either up or down. We are slowly integrating more things for the client. The bedroom gets a lot of sun, which is good in the winter and bad in the summer, so we programmed the shutters to close and open automatically depending on where the sun is and what time of year it is.
                For X10 modules I would only use either Xanura or Marmitech Micromodules or the x10-2 range. We very rarely use anything else these days, and have made a special adapter so they can fit onto a din rail ideal for putting into the consumer unit.
                The other thing with X10 is that you do need a whole house X10 filter as this will help with signal quality. And certain appliances may need extra filtering as well. But all this is easily available.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chillout
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Feb 2010

Thats the type of thing that I'd be into. I spoke to a couple of companies who both basically said the same think, they only deal with RAKO/MODE as the X10 stuff is aimed more at the DIY'er. Do you know of any providers that would supply and fit the X10 equipment at all?
                  Cheers

Comment

• panny
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2009

I'm installing Z-wave. It's reasonably cheap and flexible. I looked at Rako and GET and a few others, but for cost and flexibility, I went for z-wave. Haven't ordered the switches yet, but the wiring is ready for it. (Some switches need a neutral).

Comment

• chillout
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Feb 2010

Cheers mate,
                      Z wave looks very good, but my problem is finding a UK supplier who will assist in informig me on what I need. It seems like the X10 stuff, ok if you know what you need and how to install it!

Comment

Working...
                      X