Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharing PIR

Gangsta,

Unfortunately it cannot be done in the way that your diagram describes because the IDRATEK digital inputs do also use an active sense voltage (3.3V) and cannot therefore in general be connected to other active digital signals - only to 'voltfree' switch type devices.

Automated Home Jr Member Gangsta's Avatar

ah well, thats why i said if cortex was suitable, i should really read up more on whats out there. Thanks for letting me know - i'll try and remove the picture so no-one tries it.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks for all the replies folks. I will do some more research and let you know what I eventually settle on. Some interesting points raised by Gumby regarding PIR sensitivity that I would not have picked up otherwise.
    Cheers Doug

PS, apologies for the late reply, offspring no.2 has just arrived and house renovation is not top priority atm!

I haven't had pets in the house since it's been automated, so it would be interesting to hear people's experiences with and without pet insenstive sensors used for automation.

I guess cat's and dogs have different consequences...

Being a dog person I was thinking I'd not worry about the dog triggering presence during the day and shut it in one room during the night. But then when I was a kid one of our dogs did learn how to open doors...
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

I am sure that the need to share PIR signalling crops up many times , I know I want it too. Surely there must be a commercial inline box that handles this and satisfies any required accreditation. I've searched and can't locate one.

In my case I have a mixture of 4 wire and 2 wire circuits - all tamper protected - but my sensors could all be changed to 2 wire. It is important that the tamper protection is retained and as my system is externally maintained the company requires an 'acceptable' product to consider installing it.

Currently I use the panels serial reporting to advise PIR activity but that introduces a significant delay making any triggered lighting use not practical. If anyone does find a suitable solution do let us know....

K

Automated Home Jr Member

I needed to do this with my alarm PIRs. In the end i used 4 of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Relay-PCB-Kit-...item3a55c0e769 The relay is activated by the PIR then as its a Double Pole Double throw the alarm panel and idratek can be wired seperately.

Simon

This would be OK for 4 wire alam sensor wiring where the tamper wires have their own separate pair. But if your alarm system uses two wire with a series / end resistor then it would not tamper protect the sensor.

K

Automated Home Jr Member

First off, thanks for the discussion around this topic, it has been very useful.
    Secondly I have found a PIR by Bosch in the Blueline range that is pet friendly and appears to have an additional digital output:

Outputs
    Digital Alarm: 5 V normally, ground for 4 sec during alarm.
    Relay: Solid state, supervised Form A normally-closed (NC) contacts
    rated for 125 mA, 28 VDC, 3 W.
    Tamper: Normally-closed (NC) contacts (with cover on) rated at
    28 VDC, 125 mA maximum.
    Connect tamper circuit to 24-hour protection circuit.

I guess the digital output could be connected to a QAI and the drop off in voltage monitored by Cortex and an alarm condition generated accordingly.
    The detectors can be picked up for around 7 (ISM‑BLP1‑P Blue Line Pet‑Friendly PIR) or 23 for the "Tritech" version.

Anybody have any experience of these, I would love to know!
    Doug

Automated Home Jr Member

D'oh, thinking about it I have seen numerous PIR units with an external LED feature, allowing you to turn off the interal LED indication and mount an LED somewhere else. Assuming you can stop your PIR flashing it's LED to siginify normal "I have power and work" mode you could use this signal with a QAI to indicate an alarm condition. Just need enough QAI to suit, or am I missing something simple?
    Doug

Rather than using a QAI you should still use digital inputs since it is only digital inputs which can be connected to a Motion detector object - In Cortex various pre-defined objects have special significance in order to make the integration aspect automatic.

To avoid risk of overvoltage and to avoid sharing the alarm 0V you should use an optoisolator between the PIR output signal and the digital input.