• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffers36
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2010

wiring up new central heating thermostat control

Hi I am attempting to wire up a new thermostat control, the old one is a Holywell's standard dial control & the new one is a Salus wireless RT500RF. I am confused which wires go where so any advise/help would be outstanding
    The old unit pic is attached under the name of pic 73 & the new unit is pic 72.

Many thanks
    Jeff
    Attached Files
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Here is the manual I think for your old thermostat. Did you mean Honeywell http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26159/...%20Thermostat# and just scroll down to where it says instruction manual.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jeffers36
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2010

update

Thanks for the information, yes I did mean Honeywell I have looked at the manual but I am still none the wiser which wires go in which connections on the new thermostat... any ideas?

Many thanks
      Jeff

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Jeff,

Do you have a manual for the Solus thermostat? That should help in determining what goes where.

I've had a quick look at your photos and here are my thoughts:
        # It appears your existing system is a "mains switched" system and uses 220/230V to control the boiler. That's fine, mine is too
        # You need to follow the "230V configuration" diagram on your new stat.
        # Old red wire (terminal no. 1) goes to "L" on the new stat
        # Old blue wire (terminal no. 2) does to "N" on the new stat
        # Old yellow wire with red tape (terminal no. 3) goes to NO on the new stat (this is marked up per the normal convention of sleeving switched live wires with red tape/sleeving)
        # It looks like you need to add another wire connecting "L" to "COM" on the new stat.

EDIT: I couldn't see a terminal screw for your existing earth wire (green/yellow sleeving) but this looks to be ok as the thermostat is stated to be "double insulated". Just terminate the earth wire into a small terminal block, like one block from one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/57177/...cks-Pack-of-10

Please satisfy yourself that what you are doing is correct, and safe. If in doubt, consult a qualified electrician etc.

HTH,

Tim.
        Last edited by TimH; 15 April 2010, 12:48 PM. Reason: extra info
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
        X