Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What heating control system to get?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Current Temperature

I've just got my first FHT80b-II controller and a bit disappointed to see it only shows the temperature the room is currently set to - not the actual current temperature of the room.

I haven't got the USB stick yet, is it possible to view the current room temperature via FHEM (or similar) (i.e. the controller reports this, but just doesn't display it) or is there no way to get the current room temperature and only know if a room is heating or not heating?

Automated Home Sr Member martynwendon's Avatar

Unfortunately as far as I know the FHT80b-II thermostats can only show the current set point on the display and not the current temperature.

I *have* seen it mentioned in various manuals that there is an option to change this in the settings, but I've never seen that myself and I have a fair number of these.....

IF you get the USB controller, then with FHEM you get access to all the thermostat settings remotely, as well as all the data that each thermostat reports, which does include the current temperature.

Hope that helps!

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I've just got my first FHT80b-II controller and a bit disappointed to see it only shows the temperature the room is currently set to - not the actual current temperature of the room.

I haven't got the USB stick yet, is it possible to view the current room temperature via FHEM (or similar) (i.e. the controller reports this, but just doesn't display it) or is there no way to get the current room temperature and only know if a room is heating or not heating?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by martynwendon View Post
    Unfortunately as far as I know the FHT80b-II thermostats can only show the current set point on the display and not the current temperature.

I *have* seen it mentioned in various manuals that there is an option to change this in the settings, but I've never seen that myself and I have a fair number of these.....

IF you get the USB controller, then with FHEM you get access to all the thermostat settings remotely, as well as all the data that each thermostat reports, which does include the current temperature.

Martyn
    Thanks Martyn,

I have read references here: http://www.ip-symcon.de/forum/f25/fh...moeglich-3726/ (I used google translate to actually read ut) where it says what the setting should be - however the option isn't in my unit.

This place http://www.elv.de/ELV-FHT80B-1-Raum-...ereich_/marke_ claims to be selling a fht80b-3, so maybe that has the additional option or maybe different resellers have slightly different firmware loaded which may or may not display the current temperature.

Being able to read the temperature from FHEM should be sufficient for what I need, although it would be nice if it was displayed in the room as well.

Cheers,
    -Jeff

Automated Home Lurker

I know this is a stale thread but I thought I'd answer for the benefit of anyone else considering househeat or other FS20 based heating automation yes you get the room temperature reported back through to FHEM and can see it via the web interface tabulated or graphed as you wish together with the desired temperature.

Automated Home Lurker

Default What did you use

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Hi all,

<... snip...>

Does anyone have any suggestions of recommendations?
    What did you end up using and do you like it?

If this question was asked today I would recommend z-wave products, although the missing link is the z-wave TRV. The only one out there is Danfoss and it seems to have some problems, it is slow to respond when non-danfoss controllers are used.

Just my 2c

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgbirch View Post
    What did you end up using and do you like it?
    I've got 2x FHT-80b-II, each with 2 TVR controls and a single window sensor; and the USB controller.

It works OK, but I'm only using the USB controller for graphing the temperature and valve position and not actually controlling the devices as I originally planned.

Quote Originally Posted by sgbirch View Post
    If this question was asked today I would recommend z-wave products, although the missing link is the z-wave TRV. The only one out there is Danfoss and it seems to have some problems, it is slow to respond when non-danfoss controllers are used.
    Thanks. I've not really looked at the z-wave stuff before. At some point in the next couple of years we need to get the house re-wired, so some form of lighting control etc. will be on my list to consider by then.