• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Sash Window Sensors

I'm trying to work out the best way to fit sensors to double hung sliding sash windows. Has anybody been down this route before?

I was thinking if I used the flush mount recessed "bullet style" reed switches then I could drill/countersunk and back fill the magnets in the bottom rail of the bottom sash, and the meeting rail of the top sash. I'm not sure if the wires won't interfere with the weights and pulleys in the box though.
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

I haven't done it but my first thought was as yours - to fit the magnets to the bottom rail of the bottom sash.
    I think I understand what you mean with the top pane, but would think that the same approach as for the bottom might be better (i.e. magnets in top surface of top sash with reed switch(es) fitted into the very top of the surrounding frame.

Even if the wires don't get tangled with the sash ropes & weights, all that constant flexing can't be good for the longevity of the alarm cable.

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• broadk
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2010

Andrew, I've been looking into this as well and have so far been led to believe that retro-fitting will be somewhat troublesome. Have you considered alternative sensor types? I've start to think about the use of break-glass sensors for intrusion but will sadly miss the ability to determine open/close state.

k.

Comment

• panny
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2009

Why will the cables flex and pull? The magnet can go in the sash and the reed can be in the cill or the top rail so doesn't need to move. You can hide the cable between the frame and the brick although there is usually enought space next to the tensioners.

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

why not go wireless. and use something like this Infinte Prime INF-RX8 http://www.espuk.com/intro_rx8.htm and connect the outputs to your system.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Andrew Millne
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by broadk View Post
            I've start to think about the use of break-glass sensors for intrusion but will sadly miss the ability to determine open/close state.
            That is the problem. I don't intend to use them just for intrusion detection, I would like to use them to inhibit the heating in rooms where windows and doors are open and remind me I've left a window open when I leave the house etc.

Originally posted by panny View Post
            The magnet can go in the sash and the reed can be in the cill or the top rail so doesn't need to move. You can hide the cable between the frame and the brick although there is usually enought space next to the tensioners.
            That is what I was thinking, The windows do need a bit of work in the way of sanding and re-painting so any rebates/countersinks could be tidied up easily at the same time. I had thought about taking them out and getting them dip-stripped and re-glazed but I think it may be a little too much disruption. I also can't find any reputable companies in the North East to do it at a reasonable cost.

Originally posted by toscal View Post
            why not go wireless. and use something like this Infinte Prime INF-RX8 http://www.espuk.com/intro_rx8.htm and connect the outputs to your system.
            That's an idea. I'll keep that in mind if there is no easy way of fitting concealed switches.

Thanks everybody.
            Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

Working...
            X