Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home to Car

Automated Home Sr Member MrFluffy's Avatar

Quick google round,and you can not only hook linux up to a canbus network, the tools to do it are right in the kernel if enabled!!!
    http://www.armadeus.com/wiki/index.p...s_Linux_driver

Didnt mention above, but my first install was linux based too.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

interesting ... six years is a long time in this business, and it's tempting to think it can't be long before someone tries that sort of thing with an iPhone - it already having compass & GPS, WiFi & Bluetooth & 3G, browser (=> Google Maps & MultiMap) & e-mail, loads of computing power, umpteen-pin interface (for various third-party devices, USB & otherwise) and multi-tasking (in a week or two), all built-in - not to mention the SDK, to make it all easy to do ! OTOH, there are so many app's for them now, one might already exist & we'd never know !

Chris
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 19th April 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
    Ive since found out my screen size was allegedly illegal but nobody ever said anything back at the time...
    What size was the screen ?

I have a 12" 800 x 600 ePOS touchscreen on mine and I consider it to be far safer than the 4" screen on the satnav as I can see it at a glance whereas I have to stare at the satnav to read it clearly.
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

ouch, 12" - must've been tricky finding somewhere to put it ! We find resolution is maybe more the thing - ie: the built-in one in our main car has about four times the pixel-count of the TomTom in the other - overall package not really any bigger & it's much easier to read & use, plus it's good as a map, too - & it links to the head-up display, for directions, which also works v.well ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 19th April 2010 at 05:12 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member MrFluffy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    What size was the screen ?

I have a 12" 800 x 600 ePOS touchscreen on mine and I consider it to be far safer than the 4" screen on the satnav as I can see it at a glance whereas I have to stare at the satnav to read it clearly.
    I think it was a 10" screen. Its on the rack at the moment on the kvm for there as its small and neat so could measure it.
    I thought about touchscreens but back then they were expensive. This screen was epos stuff but its got ps2 sockets on the back for the operator keyboard and wand.
    Chris, in a range rover classic and my van, your not exactly short of dash space to squeeze whatever size screen you want in. I was told by someone who had done some actual research theres a legal limit to the size of the screen the driver can view seated normally from his position to avoid getting distracted. And 10" was way over that limit...
    Think id rather rely on commodity hardware than taking some random chance as to if apple will let the piece of functionality I need into the app store. Walled gardens arent much use when your off doing something weird...

I don't feel up to the job of fitting a PC in my car, although a 7" UMPC would be a big headstart on screen, connectivity, software etc.

Was thinking though, that cars are what, 20? years ahead of houses, so what can we learn from them.

First point is that they stopped using central relays and wires to every point, they now have distributed controllers, so in the Audi A8, each door has its own controller, for windows, locks, electronic child lock logic etc. By distributing controllers, they were able to reduce the amount of copper in the car, so now the wiring loom only weighs about 50kg! In houses, we are just starting to go this way, with IP relays and sensors, but we still like a heavyweight Node0 with everything in there. It feels like we won't be doing that in 20 years.

For entertainment, (radio, MP3, TV, CD) there is a fibre-optic network, for engine data, another discrete but wired network, and for 'convenience' there is a third network. This prevents problems on one network from interfering with the others. A gateway module links the network, so that diagnostics can connect to everything. Not sure we ever think about multiple networks

Some of the functions we take for granted in cars would be great in houses, e.g. central locking, lights on when we open the door, power closedown when we go out, lights come on when it goes dark, when it rains it wipes the windows. And this stuff is so robust you can jump over a hump back bridge and it still works fine. I'm very impressed

yep, agree - seems strange now to drive a car in which 'have to think about lights & wipers etc ...

other features include things like SIM-card in-dash for integrated 'phone functions, auto-news reports, automatic monitoring of engine & systems & tyres & doors & outside conditions, with appropriate diagnosis & feedback & warnings & maintenance requests, fuel consumption data & analysis, clock-synchronisation, presence sensing (via seats & doors etc), eyes-free AV controls at work-station, automatic seats & mirrors & air-con, manoeuvre assistance, plus a smooth & quiet & fresh environment to keep people in relaxed mood, and v.good reliability ... all things that would be good to have also in the house !

But we buy a car that has all these fabulous features, then pretty much throw it away after 10 years or so. A house that we might live in for 20 years doesn't get the same features, most don't even turn on the lights when you open a door.

That seems completely out-of-balance

Automated Home Ninja Andrew Millne's Avatar

My prediction for the next 50 years will see an increase in the number of "engineered homes" with more thought towards automation and multimedia in the home. In the past future-proofing meant running sufficient coax and telephone sockets but a well thought out system of cavities and conduits is surely the better solution. We are already starting to see it with the likes of the German Huf Haus and Ikea fitted furniture culture.

The PC in the car is now not so much of a challenge as it was. While it has always been achievable there has almost always been some bodging of dashboards and compromises. There are now several ready made PCs built into standard double Din style enclosures for anywhere between $500-1400 and there are countless Chinese suppliers and clones. These units come with wiring harnesses ready to plug into the stock harness. No more need for seperate power supplies, screens and amplifiers.

There's also a few very good applications such as centrafuse which gives you a very car friendly GUI with all the navigation, media, OBD-II functions. I'll definately be considering this for the near future. Take a look at this for quite a well specced car PC all in.

http://www.revo-sys.com/revosys_x500...din_car_pc.php

yep, agree, very much out of balance, and the Huf Haus approach does indeed make a lot of sense - engineered, pre-fabricated, efficient ... cavities & conduits, too - sometimes think we'll have a go at a house that has an outer shell to fit with the scene, enclosing an inner super-modern house, with the gap between arranged to allow us to add & subtract pipes & cables & whatever else, as & when necessar, to keep things up-to-date & relevant ... perhaps something like this (but a whole house, not just a visitor centre, and on a much smaller scale, obviously) :

http://www.architecture.com/UseAnArc...orCentre2.aspx

the car-PC looks quite something, interesting - wonder how many they've sold & if they have helped with productivity in their target market ? Not sure how they'd fit with European cars, with their anti-theft / unique-to-the-car front-panels ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 21st April 2010 at 09:37 AM.