Thread: Guruplug - sheeva mk2

Automated Home Sr Member MrFluffy's Avatar

Default Guruplug - sheeva mk2

Anyone looked at one of these?
    http://www.globalscaletechnologies.c....aspx#features
    At 19W peak consumption it looks quite attractive to make a HA server from.
    Im currently looking at a mirrorbow usb driven 4x20 lcd display which would hook nicely onto it for a basic display, serve up extended output via the ethernet and act as a OWFS server etc. In short general basic linux based server duties for the house without having to have one running.

Sound interesting? anyone else considering one?

Automated Home Sr Member Quinten's Avatar

Yes, I have just bought one. Looks ideal for OWFS and Current Cost monitoring duties...

Automated Home Jr Member Simon300's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
    Anyone looked at one of these?
    http://www.globalscaletechnologies.c....aspx#features
    At 19W peak consumption it looks quite attractive to make a HA server from.
    Im currently looking at a mirrorbow usb driven 4x20 lcd display which would hook nicely onto it for a basic display, serve up extended output via the ethernet and act as a OWFS server etc. In short general basic linux based server duties for the house without having to have one running.

Sound interesting? anyone else considering one?
    The 1.2GHz Kirkwood processor is turning up in a few things now.

If you need a disk drive (e.g. for SqueezeCenter) you might be better getting a NAS. I bought a Buffalo LinkStation Pro (LS-XHL) 1TB last autumn and have been very happy with it (I've opened up the stock firmware). It has an active community following/forums at nascentral.org & very low power consumption too. They're about 150 inc VAT.

HTH

Simon

If you are looking for a NAS and have an old PC, then you could use NAS Lite. Easy to set up, can boot from floppy, USB, or now even off the first hard drive in the NAS. Mine used to run on an old 400Mhz ish CPU with 0.5Gb of memory. Unfortunately it died a couple of weeks ago. But no problem had another old PC in my parts bin, so just transfered the disks over. Put the floppy into the new PC and it worked. Nas Lite can be got from Server Elements
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member Simon300's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toscal View Post
    If you are looking for a NAS and have an old PC, then you could use NAS Lite....
    Agreed, but something like a Sheeva/Guru Plug or Linkstation can do so much more than just NAS, and probably with lower power consumption than an oldish PC (depending on how old - e.g. the lowest I could get a Pentium III 667MHz 256MB down to was about 35W). It is good if you can re-use some old hardware though

I'm hoping to run some HA controls and webserver from my Linkstation (once I can work out what products to use!).

Automated Home Sr Member MrFluffy's Avatar

The whole idea is to go to a low power device and away from a old pc running whatever because of power consumption. Its going to be doing the job the old displayless p100 laptop did at my previous house. If I wanted to use nas on a old pc, I'd just run a nfs server under linux, why reinvent the wheel?

Finally got to and ordered a guru plug, waiting in anticipation now...