• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonathancarty
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2010

General Advice

Hi,

Apologies for a really classic first post.

We have just started a major refurb of our house and are planning a new heating system consisting of underfloor heating throughout powered by 2xGround Source Heat Pumps. The quote we have been given by Ice Energy including "zoning" the heating but I'm also very interested in the more advanced heating controls

A quick search online and on here has come up with Honeywell, Heathouse and SmartHome but I could find no info on the latter on here.

Cost is obviously a consideration but it's a massive job on the house so I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest option. The SmartHome system includes a few features such as outdoor sensors to monitor the outside temperature and I would certainly want the system to be remotely accessible either via mobile phone or t'internet.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Jon
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Have a look at Idratek, they have their own forum on here. Karam is always very helpful, does he ever sleep??.
    www.idratek.com for more info.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• nickgale
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2005

With a ground source heat pump it isn't always better or necessary to control the individual zones like you would with a boiler. Heat pumps seem to work better when they run at a pretty constant level, generally the output temperature is based on the external temperature and the return flow temperature.

Most heat pumps have good internal heat regulating controls. Discuss it with your installer as creating a sudden demand can cause a heat pump to work very hard and switch on back up electric water heaters to cope. It's a delicate balance between efficiency and convenience, if you have areas of the house that can be shut down for several days then it maybe worth doing but consider bringing them back up to temperature gradually to avoid sudden demand.

In our experience there is little point in having a major night time set back with UFH fed via a GSHP.

Comment

• james1911
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jun 2010

If you are living in UK. Duston electrical is one good compnay its website is in my signature
        Warmup underfloor heating

Comment

Working...
        X