• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamgreenhouse
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2010

Which technology?

I have a number of home automation technologies in my home but none of them solve the needs of this particular project. What technologies should I be looking at please?

Dream Green House - Stylish and environmental friendly products, services and technologies for designing & building your own home.

Rob
    Dream Green House - Stylish and environmental friendly products, services and technologies for designing & building your own home.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

take a look at Idratek www.idratek.com
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• dreamgreenhouse
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2010

Have looked at Idratek web site but can't see any wireless comms devices. I need something that I can interface to my Home Control System (based on a mini-ITX PC) but the sensors need to be wireless. I was thinking something along the lines of ZigBee technology.

Rob

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

then how about some of what AlertMe & EnOcean & maybe Rako have to offer ?
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• b_weijenberg
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Sep 2006

You can use Visonic or BT VP1000 868.95MHz sensors and the RFXCOM Visonic receiver.

Comment

• dreamgreenhouse
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Apr 2010

All these suggestions are complete solutions. I already have a home control system that is based around a very low power mini-ITX PC and a hybrid set of technologies such as Dallas 1-wire, X10, Ethernet IO, USB IO, etc. I want to extend this with a reliable wireless technology that can interface to my PC and not a managed installation or anything with a subscription (like Alert Me).

It's the technology I'm interested in and not an off-the shelf, self contained home automation package. As far as I'm concerned there is no one technology that does it all and does it well, hence my hybrid approach.

Is there anything ZigBee based that can interface to a PC?

Rob

Comment

• b_weijenberg
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Sep 2006

Rob,

Some misunderstanding??

The RFXCOM USB or LAN receiver can be connected to your system and receives 433.92MHz signals of:
              •X10 lighting sensors and remotes,
              •X10 security sensors,
              •Digimax,
              •KlikAanKlikUit,
              •Chacon,
              •NEXA,
              •Proove,
              •Domia Lite,
              •ByeByeStandBy,
              •ELRO AB600,
              •Intertechno
              •Düwi
              •RFXSensor devices,
              •RFXPower & RFXMeter devices,
              •Oregon Scientific weather sensors,
              •Oregon Scientific Body Weight Scale,
              •ATI Remote Wonder,
              •HomeEasy,
              •cent-a-meter, Electrisave,
              •OWL CM113

And the http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#40079 receiver for Visonic sensors receives the PowerCode sensors.

So not a home automation package but receivers (and transmitter) for all kind of sensors and power modules like Oregon Scientific, Visonic, X10, HomeEasy.....

Bert

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

>all these suggestions are complete solutions ...

nope, they might all be able to stand on their own, but none are complete, and any & all could be part of a greater whole - plus, they offer components for own-integration, which was the idea, I thought ...

eg: Rako's RAVFR device with their RDS800C RF & RACUB RF relay units ...

eg: EnOcean's kits & accessories here : http://www.enocean.com/en/enocean_modules/
                & http://www.enocean.com/en/enocean_modules_315mhz/

eg: http://www.ember.com/products_zigbee...ools_kits.html

pretty sure that with a bit of digging, relevant datasheets for all can be had, and all have software that'd run on the mini-ITX ...
                Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 2 May 2010, 02:15 PM. Reason: added eg's
                Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• dreamgreenhouse
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
                  Rob,

And the http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#40079 receiver for Visonic sensors receives the PowerCode sensors.

So not a home automation package but receivers (and transmitter) for all kind of sensors and power modules like Oregon Scientific, Visonic, X10, HomeEasy.....

Bert
                  Hi,

Thanks for the links. This is the kind of thing I was after. I will read up on the documentation for this device:

I want to have some code working in Java to integrate it with my other home control software.

Thanks

Rob

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

One of my suppliers has just sent me an email about a company called Ebode.
                    More info http://www.ebodeelectronics.eu .
                    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X