Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

For alarms, both the Infinite Prime and the Visonic range are also very good,though the way the Visonic manuals are written takes a little getting used to .
    Last edited by toscal; 16 July 2010, 09:36 AM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• stoop_uk
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2005

Will both these alarms talk to Homeseer?
      Stewart Priest
      Twitter :: Blog

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

In theory they could do. The Visonic wireless sensors can talk via an RFXCOM product (which I think has a plugin for Homeseer) and Infinite Prime could do via the x10 module and a CM11 or CM15 pro connected to your Homeseer pc.
        If I was going that route then I would pick the Visonic system. The Visonic units do have an RS232 interface which is used to program the unit via a PC and for the external GSM communications. There was talk on the Homeseer forums about using this RS232 interface but Visonic guard the protocol much like Countries guard their launch codes. Which is probably why RFXCOM designed their interface to talk/listen to the Visonic sensors and key fobs instead.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• add
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • May 2008

Wireless and X10 Alarms

Call me paranoid, but I've never liked wire-free alarm systems. I figure that it can't be too hard to jam the signals. With wires, you know what is connected. Wire-free means anyone could listen to the radio waves. Just the way I think I guess..

I also think of X10 as quite unreliable. I certainly wouldn't trust it as the base of my house's security. I quite like the Scantronic and Optima panels - but they are only basic systems and would need to be wired into Comfort or a HA controller in whichever way you saw fit.

That's just my opinion and is in no way a reflection of any facts :P

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

The Comfort system is an alarm system which has very comprehensive HA features as well.
            Wireless alarm systems tend to be very good these days. The ones we have installed (Mainly Visonic) also have anti-jamming detection, so if someone tries and jams the system they go off, which makes the whole idea of jamming useless.
            If you listen in on those radio waves you would have to decrypt the encrypted signals, that's if you got the right frequency. Then once you have decrypted the message string you would need to know why that string was sent. Some strings are just letting the panel know that a sensor is alive and the battery voltage is good. Plus most key fob signals are a rolling code message string so the same code is never sent twice. So even is someone could copy the key fob, it wouldn't work. We have also tried this with the automatic gate openers we install. We cloned one of the key fobs eight times each time with a different make of clone. We did it it over a period of 6 weeks. All eight clones failed to open the gates. So unless you have something worth stealing such as a long lost art painting most burglars aren't going to bother. The equipment needed to do it is just too expensive for the common thief, and there is no guarantee it will work either.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• add
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • May 2008

Multiple Infinite Users

If two or more neighbours were using Infinite Prime alarms... would there be any interference with the two?

Also if using other technologies on 868? For example Z-Wave?

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by add View Post
                If two or more neighbours were using Infinite Prime alarms... would there be any interference with the two?

Also if using other technologies on 868? For example Z-Wave?
                Can't comment on Z-wave.
                But for alarms there shouldn't be any interference.
                Each device has a unique serial number which is part of the encrypted transmission so unless you some how assigned a neighbour's sensor and it triggered at exactly the right moment then no. Also if you where unlucky enough to assign a neighbour's sensor then it would probably show up as a very weak signal. Most wireless alarm panels have signal strength meters.
                The only condition that might trigger interference would be if your neighbour had the maximum number of wireless sensors for the panel and also the maximum number of wireless keypads. So that would mean 32 sensors and 4 keypads. And I think the chances of this happening is the same as England winning the next world cup
                Forgot to mention that it is possible to register the sensors manually, by entering the sensor serial number via the keypad, so absolutely no chance of assigning the wrong sensor.
                Last edited by toscal; 19 July 2010, 04:41 PM.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                X