Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonos vs Logitech Squeezebox

Automated Home Jr Member Simon300's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Mate View Post
    So do you not have to run server software any more for SB?
    M.
    As mentioned in another comment you can use Logitech's http://www.mysqueezebox.com if you want to listen to streamed music (rather than your own collection) to save running Squeezecenter on your own server or PC. Even with this you can use last.fm, Pandora etc. This seems to be Logitech's preferred approach for less technical users (I suppose to compete directly with DAB).

I've got an SB Radio and run Sqeezecenter on a Buffalo Linkstation Pro NAS (for its low power consumption and other uses). An easier, though slightly more expensive, NAS approach is probably to use NETGEAR ReadyNAS which is supported by Logitech.

The strengths of Squeezeboxes in my opinion are: well made hardware, good value compared to other multi-room systems, flexibility and lots of third-party stuff, and an active community at http://forums.slimdevices.com/. The disadvantages are that they do need time and effort to do the fancy stuff and there have been stability issues with the relatively new mysqueezebox service.

HTH

Simon

So to be clear, you DO still have to run a PC to listen to your own music collection with SB?

M.

Automated Home Jr Member Simon300's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Mate View Post
    So to be clear, you DO still have to run a PC to listen to your own music collection with SB?
    Yes, to play your own music you do need to have the Squeezecenter software and some storage space somewhere on your network - either on your PC (not so convenient as you don't really want to have a power-hungry desktop PC on 24/7) or on a NAS of some sort (ReadyNAS, Linkstation, Sheevaplug with USB disk, etc). People on this forum may have low power PC servers used for HA that may also be suitable.

Note: the new Squeezebox Touch has Squeezecenter built-in providing you attach a USB disk. It is still very new though and there's some debate on the forums as to whether the Touch is powerful enough for larger music collections.

HTH

Simon

Thanks. Still advantage Sonos on that one then I think. This looks interesting...

http://en.raumfeld.com/

M.

Kevin, You say
    The difficulty , but surmountable, integration with the rest of my system
    What sort of integration are you thinking about. Hifi integration is fairly easy.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Sonos have just upgraded their software.
    Check the new features out here
    http://www.sonos.com/support/softwar...onestar+Emails
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Lurker

I have just gone through and updated my Sonos equipment to the latest version. I must admit that I haven't tried the new features yet, but I do like the simplicity and ease of upgrading the system. It just works.

Next on the radar for me though is an S5 to have as a roving ZonePlayer, after being shouted at for having my music playing "too loud" in a room near to where I was working that didn't have it's own zone.

Automated Home Sr Member franktate's Avatar

Cross-fading at last! I have been waiting for this feature for the 3 years I have had my system. I mainly use the system when we host BBQ's or parties and the silence between tracks is a mood killer. I will be trying the new feature out this Saturday at our Eurovison party!
    Now, if only I could work out how to volume-level.....

frank

Quote Originally Posted by toscal View Post
    Kevin, You say
    What sort of integration are you thinking about. Hifi integration is fairly easy.
    The AV bit I do have working, Amp powers on and switches to Sonos automatically if you select play (in that zone), and powers off later. Even got some extra synched zone control , as my amp provides three.

I have been trying to decide on one main controller for several several HA functions - a handheld colour touchscreen remote with realtime feedback. A balance between a larger touchscreen and an IR remote.

For Sonos - aside from playback transport & zone control I wanted track/artist/coverart displayed on my non Sonos control screens - and having playlist management / queue re-ordering was even better. All do-able but it takes a lot of effort.

The reverse is not easily do-able - any form of HA control from a Sonos controller - but that's liveable with if you have an alternative controller or can live with two. I can individually switch my three extra synched zones from the Sonos controller but that's via a kludge and not intuitive at all.

K

K