Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Nice aren't they - the build quality is surprisingly good.

Assuming you have the xAP option for Cortex - and want to control some IDRAnet stuff eventually I'll be happy to include you in my 'early days' versions. There is a small router app used that runs on a PC too ,ideally XP. Hopefully later we will be able to run this bit on the Joggler too within a Linux hub.

Happy to help you get it going once you're ready... if you don't have Flash I can setup some buttons for you that will work with your system after compilation.

Kevin

Comment

• Paul_B
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2006

Yet to run Kevin's instruction for enabling xAP because I had a few issues with enabling Telnet/SSH. Joggler seems a bit fussy about USB keys but I managed to get mine working and have written up what I did:

Joggler Info - Forum Write-up

Hope this may help others

Paul

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

You dont have to install SSH and SCP if you are comfortable using

w g e t http://....

and have a web server to host the files on. Sorry I had to put spaces in that command as if you post it as one word the post fails :-(

I have an imminent new release that doesn't require you customise via Flash as the configuration file is separate now. I provide a compiled .swf file now.

Of course to customise the graphics , or add actions in reaction to device changes then you still need Flash. So I suspect to be really useful most people will need Flash still.

K

The directory should be media/appshop btw not media/appstore (the iPhones's warped my mind). I have reports that PMJ might change things a bit if that's installed.
        Last edited by Kevin; 22 May 2010, 09:43 PM. Reason: Trying to find why post failed it's that w g e t !

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

Kevin,

Correct me if I am wrong but you still need to boot from USB to enable Telnet / SSH initally as the bog standard Joggler doesn't allow connection over these protocols?

I've just updated my post to indicate that through Windows 7 diskpart I got my Corsair 4GB USB key working whereas intially it wouldn't.

BTW I like the new Jog Tool released by the guys at Joggler.info which is an interface for installing other Apps.

Looking forward to your new release. I was going to install your previous version but decied to wait until the morning when my head is a little clearer

Paul

Comment

• Simon300
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Paul_B View Post
            Correct me if I am wrong but you still need to boot from USB to enable Telnet / SSH initally as the bog standard Joggler doesn't allow connection over these protocols?
            Paul
            Yes - the telnet procedure (http://www.joggler.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7 and other places) puts a few files on a USB stick that the Joggler looks for when it boots (in case a manual upgrade is required). When run, these files enable telnet at boot time and create the "letmein" user. I don't think there's an SSH daemon installed on the stock Joggler OS but there are compiled ones on the net you can install manually.

Comment

• Kevin
              • Jan 2004

Paul - only some Jogglers (development versions) have Telnet enabled by default so yes there is always a required step of getting access to the Joggler to enable you to load new apps on it. What I was meaning is that Telnet is sufficient but adding SSH/SCP makes it so much easier if you're a Windows user with little Linux knowledge as you then have a graphical file transfer interface and a nice inbuilt editor rather than vi.

It's a shame the Joggler is so picky about USB sticks as it makes the process a bit hit and miss and is very frustrating. Your post should help too.

The weather is sooo good this weekend that it's displacing work on the next release a bit.... I would recommend people await this next one as it'll avoid re-editing the source each time.

K

Comment

• Paul_B
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2006

Yes the weather is gorgeous and I have a report to write for work and a Joggler to play with. Think I might cut the grass though as at least this is outside.

Back to the Joggler. I now understand what you mean with regard to SSH and SCP being a better preference than Telnet. The work the guys are doing with the Jog Tool should make things easier going forward as it already has scripts to permanently install SSH and SCP (although the latter doesn't seem to be working at the moment). It also looks a very healthy community over at Joggler.info

As for xAP I have realised that I never reinstalled the pre-reqs when my previous Cortex server died. I've spent the morning installing hubs, viewers, monitors and configuring firewalls and now have the basics all working. (I must admit it isn't the simplest system to install from scratch but I've noted the steps I have taken and hope to write up as an idiots guide shortly)

Paul

Comment

• Kevin
                  • Jan 2004

Paul - 'getting started' guides are always much appreciated :-)

The pre-requisites are simply a xAP hub running on each PC that will be running a xAP application (on Windows ideally running as a service because the hub must be the first xAP app to start) Also UDP port 3639 be open between PC's .

Having xAP Viewer installed somewhere on your network is most useful for diagnostics. All xAP PC's can see all xAP traffic so it really doesn't matter where you install applications.

K

Comment

• Paul_B
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2006

The problem I have found with xAP is exactly which apps to install and in what order. So today I have done the following:

Installed Ed Pearsons xfx-Express Hub
                    Configured firewall exceptions for
                    TCP: 9996 and 843
                    UDP: 3639
                    Issue here was that I originally set the exception to the local subnet (but with the xAP viewer local it didn't pickup any communication, I am guessing this is because the loop back needs to be an exception on the firewall as well) So now I have a custom exception e.g 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0)

Installed the xAP Viewer

While browsing mi4.biz I liked the look of the xMonitor

However the above is not a simple install and run:
                    - First you need to register the xAP Intranet OCX 1.4 (regsvr32)
                    - Then it moans about missing NTSVC.OCX file (so that is another download and manual install from NT Service for VB
                    - After that it moans about missing winsck.ocx file (so another download and manual registration of the ocx with regsvr32.exe from Missing winsck.ocx

The above took me a few hours to figure out but it is worth it in the end. Hence I need to write this up properly to assist othe noobies.

Paul

Comment

• Kevin
                      • Jan 2004

It's just unfortunate that that specific xAP application is so very old and was written without an installer. Newer apps are generally much easier to install (although the iServer may well require you install the Microsoft VB6 runtime files).

K

Comment

• Kevin
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ludditeal View Post
                        Shamed to admit I do have a joggler which I got out of the box, fired up, connected used for a couple of days and put away for the moment whilst I think what I am going to do with it...

Integration with Xap/Cortex sounds interesting, especially the caller display function.. but I don't have Adobe Flash and the cost looks a bit prohibitive!

I have just sent beta 2 out to all testers. Without Flash it it is useable - but has limited customisation - drop me an email or PM if you want to test as I don't have it.

K

Comment

• Paul_B
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2006

Thanks Kevin looking forward to having a play this evening. I've also created a blog entry for how I got the basic xAP bits and pieces up and running. I only created the Blog last night so it may change but that is just cosmetics.

Here's the how-to:

Blog covering my experiences with Home-Automation

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Dec 2007

Paul -

many thanks for posting, very useful ...

Chris
                            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Kevin
                              • Jan 2004

The 'getting started' bits for xAP have always been somewhat lacking so all these things you post Paul are really appreciated. They're much better articulated from someone on learning curve too so keep them coming.

I missed the instructions out of the beta 2 zip - and they'd been updated quite a bit - they're back there now so please re download.

K

Comment

• Paul_B
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jul 2006

No worries I'm not a developer so can't assist in the code side of things (apart from a few scripts in VB or Powershell) but by documenting my experiences I am hoping to give something back to the xAP comunity. As I said I need to spend a bit of time on the Blog as it is new, my website is too old and needs a complete overhall, which is the reason I'm Blogging on Blogger

Paul

P.S Looking forward to getting home and playing with Beta 2.0 for the Joggler but have a feeling I maybe stuck at work for several more hours

Comment

Working...
                                X