Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: xAP on the Joggler

Thanks for the update Kevin and appreciate all the effort. Enjoy the long weekend

How's it going now Kevin?

Wink

We're nearly there but Martyn ... the little ******, keeps finding bugs in my code . I thought I'd squished the iServer one but there was another. Anyway it is fixed now.

We're back on the Joggler code , just finalising some features and then just the docs to update...

One of the problems is that we're both discovering Flash... and it continues to surprise me with it's capabilities which leads to... "oh so we could do this..."

K

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

>Flash ... continues to surprise ... with it's capabilities ...

Hmm, Flash - makes me nervous, 'cos if there's one thing we'd be happy to see the back-of it's Flash - ie: 999 out of 1000 crashes & slow-downs on our computers these days are due to the Flash Player plug-in in Safari, sometimes when browsing (twice a week, say, and doubly annoying because usually associated with animations in advert's), frequently when listening to internet radio (one's with associated web-cams, anyway, up to once an hour, or so), and whenever iWork (Pages, Numbers) or MS Office (Word, Excel) or Preview (basic image & diagram & PDF processing) or iPhoto or ... go slow, real real slow (thrice a day), force-quitting the plug-in is always the cure ! It's ridiculous how it grabs resource, especially memory, for little benefit ... hopefully it's just the plug-in and/or sloppy web-page programming - but it's come-in for some stick, so seems likely it's fundamental to Flash ... so, take care !

hmmm, sorry, sensitive point ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 5th September 2010 at 10:30 AM.

Chris,

I don't like Flash either but in the case of the Joggler you don't really have a choice without more aggresive hacking which many people just wouldn't want to do. As the Joggler is also a stand alone device the resource requirements are less important as I don't believe it multi-tasks.

I've seen beta 2 of the work Kevin has beeing doing and it was fantastic so really looking forward to the next release.

Paul

Aye - it was just the expanding brief that raised alarm-bells ... could see things getting bogged-down in a mire !

the work seemed to be going so well, 'had a look to see if Jogglers were still available at a good price - unfortunately, drew a blank ...

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    Hmm, Flash - makes me nervous,
    One less user of this app then I guess ! Pretty stuck otherwise on the Joggler as it is totally Flash based .

As it sounds like Mr Jobs has parentally advised you I'll eagerly await your html 5 version for the Mac ;-)

K

ouch, sorry ... not Mr.J though, just everyday experience & digging & process of elimination via the Activity Monitor utility ... anyway, good luck ! If I we had a Joggler, we'd be with you ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 4th September 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member Simon300's Avatar

Question Oh oh... an enhancement request?!

Hi Kevin

As you know I'm lurking on this thread as I start to try to assemble my 1-wire to Joggler heating/solar monitoring system (opn-one being discontinued has spoilt my plans somewhat... but that's another story).

One thought though - would it be possible for your app to display the contents of a text file in a box? This would allow us to use scripts for more Unix-y stuff such as displaying a short message on the screen.

Sorry I realise a text file is not xAP but it would definitely be handy for me in the short-term anyway.

Simon
    PS. thanks again for your hard work - I keep wistfully looking at my Joggler in the kitchen thinking about it showing heating temps etc!

I too am a bit baffled by Daniel's discontinuance of OPNOne - have you checked if he has any left as I am very pleased with mine .

Re the local file issue. One of the design strengths of the application (and xAP) is that it is event driven , not requiring polling. Having to continually check a local file in case it has changed or needs displaying doesn't sit comfortably in that. We have a couple of similar areas that have already cropped up in order to implement some features which we're thinking about.

Would it not be easier to create a small xAP application that ran on the Joggler that sent the file content out as an OSD message when it had changed ?