X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Three gremlins - not noted in the beta 2 ' bugs / todo ' notes.

1) The memory function buttons are being reset to normal state after a few minutes, likely when the next xAP status info message is received.

2) If the app is installed directly on the Joggler - when you launch and quit it actually remains running so you can end up launching multiple instances. This is interesting in that I can hence background some functionality - but not good as it is now in that duplicate versions are running. Should still work but if you do launch/quit multiple times then a Joggler reboot is recommended.

3) Multiple rapid logons can occur to iServer and potentially there is a race condition creating continous logons and causing the iServer to reach it's max and accept no more connections.

K

Comment

• Paul_B
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2006

Just "installed" iServer on Windows Home Server (which is basically Windows 2003). On starting iServer I got two error messages for missing ocx files:
      - comdlg.ocx
      - mscomctl.ocx

I downloaded both from:
      Home of free ocx files. Thousands of ocx file downloads available at no charge. Download the file you need today.

Copied them into iServer directory and registered them manually as follows:
      - Start: Run
      - Type > cmd
      - From the command prompt navigate to the directory where you copied the ocx files (i.e. cd \..\program files\iserver)
      - Type > regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx
      - Accept the dialogue box acknowledgement
      - Type > regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx
      - Accept the dialogue box acknowledgement

Now IServer is staring without erroring.

NB - the above instructions are valid for WHS or Windows 2003, other OS will be slightly different (Vista / Windows 7 will need to run Command Prompt "...As Administrator")

HTH

Paul

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Paul_B View Post
        Just "installed" iServer on Windows Home Server
        You do like to set yourself challenges don't you :-) Someone else also went this WHS route and said it was a bit awkward to do but they did get it working.

Do check that iServer is both sending and receiving xAP messages. You should have an entry in xAP Viewer for iServer (under UKUSA) and more importantly in the bottom left corner of iServer you should see the source name for any xAP messages it receives "message from...".

K

Comment

• Kevin
          • Jan 2004

I'm about to release beta 3 .

Main difference will be that the interface can be customised (no need for Flash) via the configuration file.

Buttons can be laid out in a grid size of your own choice upto 10x10, although they can become small and unuseable on the Joggler if you use too many. The screenshot below is baseda around a 10x5 grid.

Every button can be individually positioned and sized including overlaps and you can also load your own button styles (SWF created in Flash). You can add a background image that you could use as a template for buttons - e.g. a floorplan or control panel.

A few extra button modes and the security mode has been enhanced, plus there is support for xAP BSC text devices.

I do hope to improve the button corner scaling and also the level device (slider) graphic as well as adding some extra icons. Multiple pages / popups will be beta 4+

Also work is underway to get an enhanced xAP hub running on the Joggler which would then obviate the need for iServer. Some may prefer to stay with iServer as it offers filtering advantages to the Joggler and also if you use WiFi because it uses TCP rather than UDP.

Here's an 'in progress' black themed interface

There's a useful button layout info overlay too.

I'm intending to only send the beta to those who have responded on previous versions as TBH it's demoralising not hearing anything ...good or bad. Making something useful to everyone takes so much more time than just coding something that works for myself and without feedback I sometimes feel it's just not worth that extra effort when you're offering it gratis.

K

Comment

• Simon300
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2010

Good stuff!

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            I'm about to release beta 3 .
            K
            Superb - that looks pretty professional Kevin!

I've been trying to get my Joggler to work reliably (& at low power) as a Squeezebox Server (using a bus-powered 120GB 2.5" USB disk) so have not been looking at xAP recently. One thing I have found is that the Joggler seems more stable using the stock OpenPeak image than the Ubuntu UNR one, so your flash app xAP approach is still I think the way to go - afterall we just really want a very reliable, always on, panel.

I have also just ordered my new boiler (which has Open Therm - see http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...88&postcount=4) so one day hope to integrate a load of 1-wire temp sensors with xAP and a Joggler. Then I'm sure I'll be knocking on your door !

By the way: can you get Flash to run system commands? For example, if you do "xset dpms force off" you switch the display backlight off completely (not just set to the lowest brightness which you'll see is still on when it's dark) - that saves ~2W and it still comes on instantly when you touch the screen. You might also want a little flash app/button to power down the Joggler (rather than just disconnecting the mains) to reduce the risk of corrupting files.

Simon

Comment

• Kemik
              • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Simon300 View Post
              Superb - that looks pretty professional Kevin!

I've been trying to get my Joggler to work reliably (& at low power) as a Squeezebox Server (using a bus-powered 120GB 2.5" USB disk) so have not been looking at xAP recently. One thing I have found is that the Joggler seems more stable using the stock OpenPeak image than the Ubuntu UNR one, so your flash app xAP approach is still I think the way to go - afterall we just really want a very reliable, always on, panel.

I have also just ordered my new boiler (which has Open Therm - see http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...88&postcount=4) so one day hope to integrate a load of 1-wire temp sensors with xAP and a Joggler. Then I'm sure I'll be knocking on your door !

By the way: can you get Flash to run system commands? For example, if you do "xset dpms force off" you switch the display backlight off completely (not just set to the lowest brightness which you'll see is still on when it's dark) - that saves ~2W and it still comes on instantly when you touch the screen. You might also want a little flash app/button to power down the Joggler (rather than just disconnecting the mains) to reduce the risk of corrupting files.

Simon
              Awesome stuff like the application and agree with these requests.

I've been looking to mount my Joggler in the wall at home, removing the stand, installing upgraded heatsink and wiring up to the mains in anticipation of something like this. As currently I'm running most my 'home automation' apps through Google Chrome running on my device for example to view web cameras, control lights via Domia Controller, etc

Comment

• Kevin
                • Jan 2004

Flash is pretty well sandboxed in terms of access to the hardware so I'm expecting not to be able to get at anything that isn't exposed via an API and not to be able to run system commands.. I can write a file into the application directory so maybe a daemon could watch for a 'runme' file being created there and execute it.....

I can get at the brightness but I'll have to check about actually turning the backlight off completely. One downside of which might be the first 'wake up' finger pressing an unseen button but I may be able to trap that. I doubt I can power down the Joggler completely.

K
                Last edited by Kevin; 22 June 2010, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• Simon300
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                  Flash is pretty well sandboxed in terms of access to the hardware so I'm expecting not to be able to get at anything that isn't exposed via an API and not to be able to run system commands.. I can write a file into the application directory so maybe a daemon could watch for a 'runme' file being created there and execute it.....

I can get at the brightness but I'll have to check about actually turning the backlight off completely. One downside of which might be the first 'wake up' finger pressing an unseen button but I may be able to trap that. I doubt I can power down the Joggler completely.

K
                  Good point about the file - you could actually just write out the command into a single file and the (root) daemon could run whatever it was (and delete the file). That would allow you to power down too. It would make a security person cringe though I'm sure

I've not noticed the "wake-up" tap being passed to Ubuntu - maybe the power management system traps it anyway.

Comment

• StuartP
                    • Feb 2004

Simon, I'm intrigued by your need to power the joggler off.

Given that there is no way to power it back on other than removing the power cable and re-plugging it.

Does the BIOS support proper power down functions anyway ?

Cheers

Stuart

Comment

• Simon300
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by StuartP View Post
                      Simon, I'm intrigued by your need to power the joggler off.

Given that there is no way to power it back on other than removing the power cable and re-plugging it.

Does the BIOS support proper power down functions anyway ?

Cheers

Stuart
                      Background: in my kitchen I have a switched fused spur which I use to switch off the kitchen PC (plus screen & speakers) at the wall. So for the PC I click a big shutdown button, then switch off at the wall - the BIOS is set to boot when power is restored. It works quite nicely but the biggest problem is that it still takes 1-2 mins to boot and, as a re-used P4 PC, isn't very energy efficient.

Now, if I replaced the PC with the Joggler I can only power down with Ubuntu on it, not the stock install (plus I'd need BBC iPlayer Listen Again). Alternatively, given that Joggler runs at only 9W (screen/sound off) with a 2.5" disk, I may leave it on 24/7 (an extra ~75kWh pa) and run Squeeze Center on it plus some HA if I get there.

(Yes, I assume the Joggler BIOS supports power down as you can do it from Ubuntu)

Hope this clarifies the slightly odd request...
                      Last edited by Simon300; 23 June 2010, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• StuartP
                        • Feb 2004

Not sure how much anyones been tracking the proliferation of joggler type devices, but looks like Cisco have adopted the format in their new home energy management product:

<disclaimer>The link above is to my blog site.</disclaimer>
                        Last edited by StuartP; 30 June 2010, 05:46 PM. Reason: Clarification of website

Comment

• Kemik
                          • Mar 2024

Originally posted by StuartP View Post
                          Not sure how much anyones been tracking the proliferation of joggler type devices, but looks like Cisco have adopted the format in their new home energy management product:

<disclaimer>The link above is to my blog site.</disclaimer>
                          What this doesn't mention is that it also has a Zigbee capability built in too

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Dec 2007

datasheet here :

Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• StuartP
                              • Feb 2004

Thanks, I've added more info to the original post.

Video of the 'raw' openpeak device here: http://www.openpeak.com/OpenFrame7E.php
                              Last edited by StuartP; 1 July 2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• BodgeIT
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Jul 2010

Hi Kevin...very interested in being a testing mule.
                                Have my joggler ready roll, also running HAH home automation system & Squeezebox xAP module.
                                Will promise to provide usefull feedback.

Comment

Working...
                                X