Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: xAP on the Joggler

Automated Home Jr Member Simon300's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    You can get perl on the standard joggler: http://ubu05.pgregg.com/joggler/
    Thanks Quinten - very interesting!

Kevin: Daniel Berenguer's libxap library at http://sourceforge.net/projects/opnode/ may provide most of the C library calls that would be required too (once compiled for Atom).

Now - back to work...

Hi Quinten - I'd just this moment found that site too - good stuff. Honoured to have your input here...

Simon... iServer is a the Windows app that the Joggler connects to currently over TCP - it handles authentication and selective routing of xAP packets via UDP. iServer is an enhanced version of xServer that includes extra connectivity for Flash and Command Fusion's iViewer clients as well as dynamic device filters. iServer is in beta.

http://www.mi4.biz/modules.php?name=...howpage&pid=37
    http://www.ukusa.demon.co.uk/iServer.htm
    NB The iserver page was posted for iViewer users to get started - not for Flash/Joggler users. For the Joggler however it requires no configuration at all :-)

I am hoping the need for iServer will be removed soon as we have lots of C library source for xAP hubs etc , it's just not something I know how to do (compile) myself.. also the hub code will need a small enhancement for the Joggler.

The next release of the Flash app should have an external XML config file which will allow people to configure their own devices. However if you wish to change graphics or add some 'logic' style smarts for device interactions then you will still need a Flash compiler of some form.

The buttons currently are a single application on the Joggler but because the Joggler main menu buttons are themselves individual .swf files then embedded control/status within the Joggler's main menu is also likely to be possible.

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 20th May 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Next release is done - more features, much better documentation, external configuration*, can be run in a generic mode without needing Flash and even a decent icon (thanks PaulG) ... and a couple of bug fixes ;-)

Just before releasing it, intended later tonight, I'm testing it out on someone who should have sailed through the last release but didn't. The directory structure of their Joggler is different to mine... So I obviously need to do better with the apps or the documentation (hopefully done).

I sent out 10 copies of the first version and heard back from only 2 - really disappointing so please do feedback your comments to me - even if it was 'I got stuck at step 1'. I know the initial installation of Telnet and other bits can be tedious. But it's gotta be done..

K

* Creating your own graphics, screens, device interactions , more complex xAP schema and anything beyond the 15 basic function 'generic' buttons will still require you have Flash or a compatible compiler.
    Last edited by Kevin; 25th May 2010 at 09:16 PM.

Sorry Kevin I got stuck on the pre-reqs and work since last Wednesday has just been stupid. Hopefully the worst is now behind me and I can devote some time to this project

Paul

Paul - I've been watching your progress in the IDRATek forum so I know you've been 'getting there' :-)

The new version has proven OK so I'm about to send you all another download link via email. If you don't get it - let me know - but only if you're interested in testing and providing feedback - not just consuming code.

The differing directory structure was caused by my having downloaded some apps from the O2 online appstore. To follow my instructions verbatim I suggest you download at least one free app that you can later delete should you wish.

Cheers K

Sent now. Contact me if you didnt receive it.

Simon300 or others ... if you wish to test send me a PM or email as I dont have it.
    Last edited by Kevin; 26th May 2010 at 12:12 AM.

Three gremlins - not noted in the beta 2 ' bugs / todo ' notes.

1) The memory function buttons are being reset to normal state after a few minutes, likely when the next xAP status info message is received.

2) If the app is installed directly on the Joggler - when you launch and quit it actually remains running so you can end up launching multiple instances. This is interesting in that I can hence background some functionality - but not good as it is now in that duplicate versions are running. Should still work but if you do launch/quit multiple times then a Joggler reboot is recommended.

3) Multiple rapid logons can occur to iServer and potentially there is a race condition creating continous logons and causing the iServer to reach it's max and accept no more connections.

K

Just "installed" iServer on Windows Home Server (which is basically Windows 2003). On starting iServer I got two error messages for missing ocx files:
    - comdlg.ocx
    - mscomctl.ocx

I downloaded both from:
    http://www.ocxdump.com/

Copied them into iServer directory and registered them manually as follows:
    - Start: Run
    - Type > cmd
    - From the command prompt navigate to the directory where you copied the ocx files (i.e. cd \..\program files\iserver)
    - Type > regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx
    - Accept the dialogue box acknowledgement
    - Type > regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx
    - Accept the dialogue box acknowledgement

Now IServer is staring without erroring.

NB - the above instructions are valid for WHS or Windows 2003, other OS will be slightly different (Vista / Windows 7 will need to run Command Prompt "...As Administrator")

HTH

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    Just "installed" iServer on Windows Home Server
    You do like to set yourself challenges don't you :-) Someone else also went this WHS route and said it was a bit awkward to do but they did get it working.

Do check that iServer is both sending and receiving xAP messages. You should have an entry in xAP Viewer for iServer (under UKUSA) and more importantly in the bottom left corner of iServer you should see the source name for any xAP messages it receives "message from...".

K

I'm about to release beta 3 .

Main difference will be that the interface can be customised (no need for Flash) via the configuration file.

Buttons can be laid out in a grid size of your own choice upto 10x10, although they can become small and unuseable on the Joggler if you use too many. The screenshot below is baseda around a 10x5 grid.

Every button can be individually positioned and sized including overlaps and you can also load your own button styles (SWF created in Flash). You can add a background image that you could use as a template for buttons - e.g. a floorplan or control panel.

A few extra button modes and the security mode has been enhanced, plus there is support for xAP BSC text devices.

I do hope to improve the button corner scaling and also the level device (slider) graphic as well as adding some extra icons. Multiple pages / popups will be beta 4+

Also work is underway to get an enhanced xAP hub running on the Joggler which would then obviate the need for iServer. Some may prefer to stay with iServer as it offers filtering advantages to the Joggler and also if you use WiFi because it uses TCP rather than UDP.

Here's an 'in progress' black themed interface

There's a useful button layout info overlay too.

I'm intending to only send the beta to those who have responded on previous versions as TBH it's demoralising not hearing anything ...good or bad. Making something useful to everyone takes so much more time than just coding something that works for myself and without feedback I sometimes feel it's just not worth that extra effort when you're offering it gratis.

K

Automated Home Jr Member Simon300's Avatar

Thumbs up Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'm about to release beta 3 .
    K
    Superb - that looks pretty professional Kevin!

I've been trying to get my Joggler to work reliably (& at low power) as a Squeezebox Server (using a bus-powered 120GB 2.5" USB disk) so have not been looking at xAP recently. One thing I have found is that the Joggler seems more stable using the stock OpenPeak image than the Ubuntu UNR one, so your flash app xAP approach is still I think the way to go - afterall we just really want a very reliable, always on, panel.

I have also just ordered my new boiler (which has Open Therm - see http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...88&postcount=4) so one day hope to integrate a load of 1-wire temp sensors with xAP and a Joggler. Then I'm sure I'll be knocking on your door !

By the way: can you get Flash to run system commands? For example, if you do "xset dpms force off" you switch the display backlight off completely (not just set to the lowest brightness which you'll see is still on when it's dark) - that saves ~2W and it still comes on instantly when you touch the screen. You might also want a little flash app/button to power down the Joggler (rather than just disconnecting the mains) to reduce the risk of corrupting files.

Simon