Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: xAP on the Joggler

Kemik

Quote Originally Posted by Simon300 View Post
    Superb - that looks pretty professional Kevin!

I've been trying to get my Joggler to work reliably (& at low power) as a Squeezebox Server (using a bus-powered 120GB 2.5" USB disk) so have not been looking at xAP recently. One thing I have found is that the Joggler seems more stable using the stock OpenPeak image than the Ubuntu UNR one, so your flash app xAP approach is still I think the way to go - afterall we just really want a very reliable, always on, panel.

I have also just ordered my new boiler (which has Open Therm - see http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...88&postcount=4) so one day hope to integrate a load of 1-wire temp sensors with xAP and a Joggler. Then I'm sure I'll be knocking on your door !

By the way: can you get Flash to run system commands? For example, if you do "xset dpms force off" you switch the display backlight off completely (not just set to the lowest brightness which you'll see is still on when it's dark) - that saves ~2W and it still comes on instantly when you touch the screen. You might also want a little flash app/button to power down the Joggler (rather than just disconnecting the mains) to reduce the risk of corrupting files.

Simon
    Awesome stuff like the application and agree with these requests.

I've been looking to mount my Joggler in the wall at home, removing the stand, installing upgraded heatsink and wiring up to the mains in anticipation of something like this. As currently I'm running most my 'home automation' apps through Google Chrome running on my device for example to view web cameras, control lights via Domia Controller, etc

Flash is pretty well sandboxed in terms of access to the hardware so I'm expecting not to be able to get at anything that isn't exposed via an API and not to be able to run system commands.. I can write a file into the application directory so maybe a daemon could watch for a 'runme' file being created there and execute it.....

I can get at the brightness but I'll have to check about actually turning the backlight off completely. One downside of which might be the first 'wake up' finger pressing an unseen button but I may be able to trap that. I doubt I can power down the Joggler completely.

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 22nd June 2010 at 11:49 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member Simon300's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Flash is pretty well sandboxed in terms of access to the hardware so I'm expecting not to be able to get at anything that isn't exposed via an API and not to be able to run system commands.. I can write a file into the application directory so maybe a daemon could watch for a 'runme' file being created there and execute it.....

I can get at the brightness but I'll have to check about actually turning the backlight off completely. One downside of which might be the first 'wake up' finger pressing an unseen button but I may be able to trap that. I doubt I can power down the Joggler completely.

K
    Good point about the file - you could actually just write out the command into a single file and the (root) daemon could run whatever it was (and delete the file). That would allow you to power down too. It would make a security person cringe though I'm sure

I've not noticed the "wake-up" tap being passed to Ubuntu - maybe the power management system traps it anyway.

Simon, I'm intrigued by your need to power the joggler off.

Given that there is no way to power it back on other than removing the power cable and re-plugging it.

Does the BIOS support proper power down functions anyway ?

Cheers

Stuart

Automated Home Jr Member Simon300's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StuartP View Post
    Simon, I'm intrigued by your need to power the joggler off.

Given that there is no way to power it back on other than removing the power cable and re-plugging it.

Does the BIOS support proper power down functions anyway ?

Cheers

Stuart
    Background: in my kitchen I have a switched fused spur which I use to switch off the kitchen PC (plus screen & speakers) at the wall. So for the PC I click a big shutdown button, then switch off at the wall - the BIOS is set to boot when power is restored. It works quite nicely but the biggest problem is that it still takes 1-2 mins to boot and, as a re-used P4 PC, isn't very energy efficient.

Now, if I replaced the PC with the Joggler I can only power down with Ubuntu on it, not the stock install (plus I'd need BBC iPlayer Listen Again). Alternatively, given that Joggler runs at only 9W (screen/sound off) with a 2.5" disk, I may leave it on 24/7 (an extra ~75kWh pa) and run Squeeze Center on it plus some HA if I get there.

(Yes, I assume the Joggler BIOS supports power down as you can do it from Ubuntu)

Hope this clarifies the slightly odd request...
    Last edited by Simon300; 23rd June 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Not sure how much anyones been tracking the proliferation of joggler type devices, but looks like Cisco have adopted the format in their new home energy management product:

http://hotzone.org.uk/cisco-home-energy-management/

<disclaimer>The link above is to my blog site.</disclaimer>
    Last edited by StuartP; 30th June 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Clarification of website

Kemik

Quote Originally Posted by StuartP View Post
    Not sure how much anyones been tracking the proliferation of joggler type devices, but looks like Cisco have adopted the format in their new home energy management product:

http://hotzone.org.uk/cisco-home-energy-management/

<disclaimer>The link above is to my blog site.</disclaimer>
    What this doesn't mention is that it also has a Zigbee capability built in too

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Thanks, I've added more info to the original post.

Video of the 'raw' openpeak device here: http://www.openpeak.com/OpenFrame7E.php
    Last edited by StuartP; 1st July 2010 at 01:45 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member BodgeIT's Avatar

Hi Kevin...very interested in being a testing mule.
    Have my joggler ready roll, also running HAH home automation system & Squeezebox xAP module.
    Will promise to provide usefull feedback.