X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Thanks for the update Kevin and appreciate all the effort. Enjoy the long weekend

Comment

• Paul_B
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2006

How's it going now Kevin?

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

We're nearly there but Martyn ... the little ******, keeps finding bugs in my code . I thought I'd squished the iServer one but there was another. Anyway it is fixed now.

We're back on the Joggler code , just finalising some features and then just the docs to update...

One of the problems is that we're both discovering Flash... and it continues to surprise me with it's capabilities which leads to... "oh so we could do this..."

K

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

>Flash ... continues to surprise ... with it's capabilities ...

Hmm, Flash - makes me nervous, 'cos if there's one thing we'd be happy to see the back-of it's Flash - ie: 999 out of 1000 crashes & slow-downs on our computers these days are due to the Flash Player plug-in in Safari, sometimes when browsing (twice a week, say, and doubly annoying because usually associated with animations in advert's), frequently when listening to internet radio (one's with associated web-cams, anyway, up to once an hour, or so), and whenever iWork (Pages, Numbers) or MS Office (Word, Excel) or Preview (basic image & diagram & PDF processing) or iPhoto or ... go slow, real real slow (thrice a day), force-quitting the plug-in is always the cure ! It's ridiculous how it grabs resource, especially memory, for little benefit ... hopefully it's just the plug-in and/or sloppy web-page programming - but it's come-in for some stick, so seems likely it's fundamental to Flash ... so, take care !

hmmm, sorry, sensitive point ...
          Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 5 September 2010, 10:30 AM.
          Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Paul_B
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2006

Chris,

I don't like Flash either but in the case of the Joggler you don't really have a choice without more aggresive hacking which many people just wouldn't want to do. As the Joggler is also a stand alone device the resource requirements are less important as I don't believe it multi-tasks.

I've seen beta 2 of the work Kevin has beeing doing and it was fantastic so really looking forward to the next release.

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

Aye - it was just the expanding brief that raised alarm-bells ... could see things getting bogged-down in a mire !

the work seemed to be going so well, 'had a look to see if Jogglers were still available at a good price - unfortunately, drew a blank ...

Comment

• Kevin
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
                Hmm, Flash - makes me nervous,
                One less user of this app then I guess ! Pretty stuck otherwise on the Joggler as it is totally Flash based .

As it sounds like Mr Jobs has parentally advised you I'll eagerly await your html 5 version for the Mac ;-)

K

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

ouch, sorry ... not Mr.J though, just everyday experience & digging & process of elimination via the Activity Monitor utility ... anyway, good luck ! If I we had a Joggler, we'd be with you ...
                  Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 4 September 2010, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Simon300
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Apr 2010

Oh oh... an enhancement request?!

Hi Kevin

As you know I'm lurking on this thread as I start to try to assemble my 1-wire to Joggler heating/solar monitoring system (opn-one being discontinued has spoilt my plans somewhat... but that's another story).

One thought though - would it be possible for your app to display the contents of a text file in a box? This would allow us to use scripts for more Unix-y stuff such as displaying a short message on the screen.

Sorry I realise a text file is not xAP but it would definitely be handy for me in the short-term anyway.

Simon
                    PS. thanks again for your hard work - I keep wistfully looking at my Joggler in the kitchen thinking about it showing heating temps etc!

Comment

• Kevin
                      • Jan 2004

I too am a bit baffled by Daniel's discontinuance of OPNOne - have you checked if he has any left as I am very pleased with mine .

Re the local file issue. One of the design strengths of the application (and xAP) is that it is event driven , not requiring polling. Having to continually check a local file in case it has changed or needs displaying doesn't sit comfortably in that. We have a couple of similar areas that have already cropped up in order to implement some features which we're thinking about.

Would it not be easier to create a small xAP application that ran on the Joggler that sent the file content out as an OSD message when it had changed ?

Comment

• Simon300
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                        Would it not be easier to create a small xAP application that ran on the Joggler that sent the file content out as an OSD message when it had changed ?
                        Yes, I was wondering about that approach too - I need some kind of 1-wire to xAP gateway. HomeSeer seems to have the best support but I really don't want to go that far yet - maybe for now I can come up with something that calls digitemp and then broadcasts an xAP message in response. I'll have a look at those supporting libraries for opn-one for inspiration.

Comment

• Simon300
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                          One less user of this app then I guess ! Pretty stuck otherwise on the Joggler as it is totally Flash based .
                          Just a little "by the way" for other Joggler users:
                          I've had a spell running both O2 stock firmware + PMJ ("Pimp My Joggler") and Stephen Ford's Ubuntu Netbook Edition 1.3a on one of my Jogglers (see http://www.joggler.info/). I use the Joggler at the moment primarily for radio but in an ideal world would have iPlayer for Listen Again too (hence the attempt at Ubuntu). The O2 stock firmware/PMJ is definitely more stable when running over several days than the current Ubuntu build - I don't know why yet, I just find apps won't start etc. That's not to say the Ubuntu built couldn't be made stable enough, but I expect that OpenPeak/O2 have spent some time tweaking the stock Linux OS.

Therefore, for the requirement of building a robust HA app that doesn't need tinkering with (is there such a thing?!), I think Kevin's approach of building a xAP app in Flash on the stock OS is the way to go.

Simon

Comment

• Kevin
                            • Jan 2004

We're almost there... just finalising some documentation so you know how to use the new features, there's a surprising number of them, so that in itself takes time... and is way more boring than coding.

Yes.. there are still some bits still to polish off but we've left those as an exercise for the beta testers to discover ;-) We'll get these fixed promptly as maintainance updates of beta 5 rather than a longer wait till beta 6.

You'll will have to rearrange your XML a bit (part of the beta fun) and so we're writing a little how to migrate from beta 4 to beta 5 doc to help.

K
                            Last edited by Kevin; 10 September 2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• kev_t
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Jun 2004

Definitely looking forward to the next beta

Looking forward to the next release, well done to Kevin and his collaborators

KevinT

Comment

• Kevin
                                • Jan 2004

You might not be quite so 'looking forward to' when you see how many XML tag changes there are... although I know you're a dab hand with XML NotePad.

I promise you'll have the release for the coming weekend.. and maybe before.. we're just tidying things in the XML now... basic docs completed.

K

Comment

Working...
                                X