Thread: Smart meters ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Smart meters ...

some interesting points raised here :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10173856.stm

security- & other-wise ... that might have wider implications (HA-system, etc) ...

eg:

"every home in Britain is expected to be equipped with a smart meter by 2020 and the Information Commissioner's Office warned privacy must not be compromised ... each home would get a new smart gas meter and a new electricity meter ... one is the host meter, that will communicate with the customer and the supplier ...

various security concerns have been raised ... the amount of personal data held on the devices ... [and] ... it could make clear the exact times householders tend to leave their home, or when they sleep, by looking at their energy usage ...

a link-up with Google, that would allow people to check ... energy usage via the internet & mobile phone ...

encrypted, but ...

no requirement for a screen on each smart meter ... big energy companies have said that they will offer the option of a digital display ... "
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 31st May 2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: duplication removed

If utility suppliers are able to use smart meters for variable tariffing, expect them to create tariff confusion to make it much more difficult to compare suppliers.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

True it'll be the mobile phone market all over again. Which ultimately detracts from the original reason for smart meters to make people aware of their consumption and lower it

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

yep ... 'noticed this earlier today :

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/alert...366796625?mt=8

(sorry if auto-launches iTunes, not sure how to stop that)

data it uses seems to be Crown Copyright, implying the data is getting around already !

Nervous of straying too far OT, but Idratek Internet & e-mail & macro & API features do open the way for wider interaction - which would strengthen the need to think about security !
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 31st May 2010 at 02:21 PM.

And what about not so nice people monitoring your electricity usage, they would be able to tell when the house is empty. all it could take is a usb stick or laptop left on a train with consumer data on it!!!!!!
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Legend

And 7 years later, Smart meters are still being pushed on the public and are still just as insecure if not more so:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...secure-hackers

The lack of any sort of real security in the devices is just laughable.

Just a couple of weeks ago I came home to a "we missed you" card through the door from our energy provider saying they'd called to install a Smart Meter - huh ? First I've heard of that. No phone calls, email contact, letters or anything. I was aware that there was a push in general across the country to get Smart Meters installed but I certainly didn't have any contact regarding it.

They obviously just thought they'd turn up without warning and try to talk me into one, to which I would have said no thanks, being well aware for years now of the security problems of Smart Meters...

And probably just as well - we'll be switching provider shortly and the new provider doesn't currently support Smart Meters, and it turns out (and I was not aware) that Smart Meters are not even fully standardised in the industry, so that a meter installed by one energy provider isn't necessarily compatible with another provider that you might switch to! (Although there are moves in place to rectify this in the future)

What a screw up...