• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sym
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2010

Sub-Plaster Speakers

What do you guys know about this topic?

We are looking at having these however I know very little about them, and am unable to find out much about what people think.

They seen rather good, but if they were surely there would be more products on the market, unless patent is involved of course.

Any ideas on them?

Thanks
  • MichaelD
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2006

Assuming you mean speakers that are plastered over?

I've heard good reports about them. They probably make more sense in the US, where internal walls are typically plasterboard on a wooden frame ('partition walls'). With a wall like that, you have a nice cavity already built into the wall to fit the speaker, so just take off the facing board, fit the speaker to the frame, plasterboard on top, then make good.

If you're in the Uk and have a block wall, then you won't want to chisel a huge hole in the wall, so you'll probably have to build a frame onto the existing wall, then fit the speakers, then plasterboard over the whole lot. Its a lot of work, particularly when you have coving and skirting board to refit.

Ceiling speakers aren't invisible, so they are a compromise, but they are much easier to fit.

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

One of our suppliers does them. The reason for only a handful of these on the market is I think copyright and patents etc. I was talking to a home cinema installer, and he said they sound very good. So I asked him would you install them and he said no. The reason being that if you have a problem then you need to undo and then redo rather a lot of plaster work. And also from his point of view the getting them out of the plaster wouldn't be covered by a warranty.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

how about putting them in a sheet of plasterboard that's put on the wall - could be sized to exactly suit the situation & finished as a projector screen, a painting or photo', etc ... ?
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

That's already been done.

Looking for the best-in-class Hifi & Home Audio? Than look no further. Superfi offer w wide range of Hifi products, ranging across TVs, Home Cinema, Hifi Systems, Speakers, Amplifiers, Turntables, and much, much more. Discover Superfi and unlock visual & audio excellence.

Last edited by toscal; 6 June 2010, 05:36 PM.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X