• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nath
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2004

Response times for lighting??

Hi

I'm currently trying to design an art installation that would utilise lighting controlled by a computer (some lights dimming and others just turning on and off). I'm interested in the active home pro kit but I have been told that with x10 there is a delay in the lightings response times.

Could anyone shed some light on this subject (no pun intended :lol: )? does the lighting respond instantly to a command from a pc to change its level?

Any help on this matter would be extremely appreciated

thanks

Nath
  • danward79
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jul 2004

Re: Response times for lighting??

Hi,

Dunnoabout the kit you are talking about, but I use a CM12 from my pc, with Girder and it is slow. I would say the responce for an on or off command is about 1000ms to 1500ms. To dim can take upto 3 seconds.

If you want to amaze people with responsive displays I think you are barking up the wrong tree! Sorry... ops:

I hope that helps

Cheers

Dan
    Cheers

Dan

Comment

• MrFluffy
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Aug 2005

Re: Response times for lighting??

Ive been chasing the same issues with latency, and Ive found if you write all your stuff as macro's and upload them to the cm12 you reduce the latency to usually sub second as you are getting rid of the serial section and the computer response speed out the loop. However the cm12 itself is a piece of unreliable crap and pulls stunts like introducing more latency when your showing someone your system (does it go to sleep or something when it sees no x10 on the powerline?), locks up and requires power cycling/hard reset/ reprogramming (intellihome say in their latest instrauctions how to hard reset the device early on in the manual, seems Ive not beent he only one having problems on a regular basis) and your better off not designing it into anything you want to work with any degree of long term repeatability.

Comment

Working...
      X