• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghrom
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2010

New member, new project

Hello everyone. I'm a new member and just wanted to show my home automation project: http://chattyhome.com/blog

It's a relatively new (in comparison to how long some of you guys have been playing with your homes), Mac-based DIY project, I'm not using any commercial systems yet, the electronics are DIY as well. At the moment it can do temperature control and simple presence monitoring, but I have big plans
    Please check it out, any comments much appreciated ;]
    http://chattyhome.com/blog - Home automation for Mac
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Hi - very interesting ... there's a need for an alternative to Savant !

thanks for the Andy Armstrong link, too - being able to run Velleman K8055s off a Mac could be handy, 'though perhaps the Arduino's would be enough (?)

One or two here are Mac at core but run a PC 24/7 for the HA (*), with MS RDP to enable management from a Mac ...

---

(*) eg: on the Idratek (*) forum, alongside this one on Automated Home

(*) Idratek is pretty capable, uniquely so when it comes to being smart about sensor fusion (eg: for presence sensing), and it's core app Cortex has macros & API which in principle should allow access to other devices via RS232 & USB on PC & (less directly) Mac, too - if you'd like a challenge !
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• ghrom
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2010

Yup, Andy's simple app was what got me into Mac programming and then into home automation, the Velleman was running my fishtank's lights and water top-up for many months before I finally switched to Arduino (which can do all Velleman can and much more). I decided to replace the Velleman with Arduino for simplicity's sake, but I might actually get back to it, I added a modular structure of my hardware interfaces to my huge TODO list, and because I already have the code for Velleman it will be a good start. Velleman is quite convenient as it does not require additional program uploads, it works 'out of the box'...

Idratek, as capable as it may be, unfortunately doesn't seem to have open hardware API so it is beyond my reach at the moment. After Velleman I will probably make a module to integrate with X10, don't have any experience with it yet but it seems to be hugely popular and the install base is big, even if it is a dying technology.

Savant - hehe, up till now I didn't know they exists. Looks very nice, but you cannot really buy it and DIY? They also seem to brag about being the only Apple based home automation system - but there's also Indigo, XTension and at least a couple more, so maybe someone should sue them

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

yep, 'not sure Savant is all that smart / intelligent, but it does have a wide span - either-way, though, it looks to be too expensive for ordinary mortals !

Not sure X10 would be reliable-enough to gain a good WAF factor, which probably rules-out the alternatives to Savant, for us anyway ...

The Idratek XGW001 module provides an X10 (CM12U) Gateway - perhaps not so interesting, but their Cortex core app includes macro & MS scripting capabilities, and an API for interaction with third-party programs, plus their GPC module can be used (by them) for software exxtensions ... so maybe there's a way to connect ! At least, we're hoping so - 'though our to-do list has more fundamental things having to be done first (aka building reg's & trial excavations - this & next week)

Anyway, good luck ...

Comment

• ghrom
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jul 2010

iPhone client and general upgrades

Hi guys, just wanted to share my joy after finishing the very first proper iPhone client for my AH system: http://chattyhome.com/blog/ChattyHom...ne_client.html

There was quite a few updates on the main system as well since my last post, but mostly in the software department as I was away for 3 months.

And still no Idratek connector

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

that's great ...

have you had a look at the connector pin-outs :

not sure if all are used by all devices, and changes may happen with each generation ... but wonder if the RX & TX pins might offer a way to Idratek (??) - haven't yet been able to get at & bottom the protocols etc - but you might have better luck and/or be better placed ? !
            Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 24 September 2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• ghrom
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jul 2010

This looks cool but the iPhone app is supposed to be a client only, I can't think of a reason why I would want to use it tethered, apart from the power that is. Everything else can be and is done over WiFi and HTTP.

If we can get the specifications for Idratek on TX / RX serial communications level, then we don't need iPhone for interfacing, it can be done much simpler directly from the Mac, either through Arduino or maybe just over USB virtual serial port. Then you sponsor the development of the connector by sending me a couple of modules so I have something to test it on and after a couple months you're a happy bunny ChattyHome user

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

yep, WiFi / HTTP - ought to be enough !

'wonder how far the interaction could be taken, though - in principle, Cortex can send & react - just not sure to what extent ...

hmmm, might be worth a question on the idratek forum ...
                Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 24 September 2010, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X