• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • add
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • May 2008

Duplicate SIM Cards

Hi all,

I was just wondering if I could get some up to date information on this subject as Google is showing me forum posts that haven't been updated since 2006.

Say I have multiple devices in my home that use a SIM to provide for example, text alerts or something... I don't want to pay a contract for each one and would like to avoid PAYG due to having to top them up seperately etc (and having to remember to do so).

Basically, I'd like to take out a cheap £20 contract which offers unlimited texts.. and then put a SIM card in each device which corresponds to this one account. I've heard about Orange Single Number and Vodafone MultiSIM - but they are either costly or only available to businesses.

I would have thought it was possible to simply duplicate/clone a SIM? And surely if it's my own SIM it isn't illegal? (Unless of course the SIM remains the property of the network operator - I'm not sure if that's how they work these days).

So yeah, any info on this would be great!

Adam
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

a friend of mine just asked his mobile provider for a duplicate sim card for his car phone. It was built into the car.
    So it is possible to get a copy of your card. But your provider may only supply you with one extra card.
    have you seen this forum response to multi sim. You may not be able to do what you want. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...95&h=&t=279267
    There are devices available on the net not too sure on the legalities of them though. So won't post any links here.
    Have sent you a pm.
    Last edited by toscal; 11 July 2010, 03:16 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• add
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • May 2008

Out of luck

One can clone a card with the IMSI and ICCID numbers in order to fool ahandset into thinking the original card is in there for a forensically-sound examination as the handset will not authenticate to the network and thus data integrity remains.

SIMs contain a 128-bit encrypted value called Ki which is the key that is used to authenticate onto the network. There is no known method currently for reading or writing to this value.

Each time the mobile connects to the network, the network authenticates the user by sending a random number (128-bit challenge - "RAND") to the mobile (ME). The mobile passes the challenge (RAND) to the SIM via a single port bus. The SIM uses a proprietary authentication algorithm to compute an authentication response, SRES, using the random number and
      Ki. The mobile sends the SRES back to the network which compares the value with an independently computed SRES. At the same time, an encryption key, Kc, is computed with yet another proprietary algorithm. This key is used for the encryption of subsequent traffic across the air interface.
      This is an explanation from a friend of mine who is into forensics and so on. Out of luck it seems Will have to try and strike a deal with Orange to give me Single Number cheaply.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

If you have an old SIM card say from 2001 or back then it is possible to read the ki number but newer cards from 2002 onwards are almost impossible to clone. and many cards now also have some form of anti-tamper built in that renders them un-usable after 5 or 8 attempts to get the ki number.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X