• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stoop_uk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2005

Mixed-Use Coax

Virgin Media are using RG59 to feed their STBs and cable modems just now. I need to run an extra length of this to the area my Node 0 will be situated. Does anyone know if RG59 is also suitable for use with satellite?

Thanks in advance!
    Stewart Priest
    Twitter :: Blog
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Probably but it all depends on the frequencies used and what the distance is. Been a long time since I was involved in satellite TV.

Here are the transmission characteristics for RG59
    Attenuation, nom. 50 MHz 7.5dB/100m
    Attenuation, nom. 200 MHz 15.8dB/100m
    Attenuation, nom. 450 MHz 24.5dB/100m
    Attenuation, nom. 860 MHz 34.8dB/100m
    Last edited by toscal; 14 July 2010, 09:40 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• stoop_uk
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2005

I've had a look on a few satellite forums and they all reckon that RG59 will do the job, but only if they type of RG59 has a lot of braid, so I guess there are different qualities of cable...

Just as an aside, where should I be looking for F connectors for my STBs and modem? Any Virgin installers out there? :-)
      Stewart Priest
      Twitter :: Blog

Comment

• JimNoble
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by stoop_uk View Post
        I've had a look on a few satellite forums and they all reckon that RG59 will do the job, but only if they type of RG59 has a lot of braid, so I guess there are different qualities of cable...
        Just as an aside, where should I be looking for F connectors for my STBs and modem? Any Virgin installers out there? :-)
        Better to use CT100 (or one of the clones - eg TLC Direct sell very nice foil and brade screen foam dielectric PF100) if you want to carry satellite signals. It's less lossy at the higher frequencies.

For F-connectors, I would either use the simple screw on type (cpc sell them), or a compression connector (I got mine via ebay).

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X