Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mounting patch panels ...

Try Ebay for rack equipment, though most will probably be pick up only. Or if you know where to look maybe a second hand office suppliers.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Lurker

HI people, hope all is well, interseting post, i saw somewhere about the mini5 range, which is ideal for the home, small compact wall cabs,

For a really low cost, you can get a 12 way patch panel, with the 89 brackets that mount to the wall,

http://networkvideosystems.co.uk/epa...oducts/NKFP12W
    Last edited by network video systems; 26th September 2010 at 04:42 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member MrFluffy's Avatar

Just on a practical note, I mounted my mini patch panels flat facing upwards, so a) they didnt require as deep a cavity as theyre only about a inch deep, and b) the cat5 could just come down the cable trunk they're on the front of and curve gently into the sockets, rather than coming down the trunk and having to waterfall 90deg into the kroning area.
    Just a small point, but makes it lots visually neater than even the usual work of art on commercial patch panels in racking systems imho...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
    Just on a practical note, I mounted my mini patch panels flat facing upwards,
    I can't quite picture whether your sockets are now facing upwards or downwards, but if facing upwards you may want to consider covering the unused ports to prevent dust / dirt ingress.

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Sr Member MrFluffy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I can't quite picture whether your sockets are now facing upwards or downwards, but if facing upwards you may want to consider covering the unused ports to prevent dust / dirt ingress.

HTH,

Tim.
    They face down as it goes, because the whole structured cabling comes from upstairs in the closed off closet proper, so the cables run straight into the krone area on the top of the panels, and the patch cables plug in from underneath. Patch cable runs are intra cabinet and so short that gravity pulling the cables out the plugs isn't a issue.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

wonder if setting them a bit off flat (at 30deg, say) would work a touch better - as easy to krone, but a bit easier to see which is which when plugging-in ?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
    They face down as it goes, because the whole structured cabling comes from upstairs in the closed off closet proper, so the cables run straight into the krone area on the top of the panels, and the patch cables plug in from underneath. Patch cable runs are intra cabinet and so short that gravity pulling the cables out the plugs isn't a issue.
    Cool, glad you've got it covered (excuse the pun... )

Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    wonder if setting them a bit off flat (at 30deg, say) would work a touch better - as easy to krone, but a bit easier to see which is which when plugging-in ?
    I've always punched-down with the panel out of the rack. It's a bit cramped and fiddly to get the cable presented properly and punchdown with the patch panel already installed.

I watched a pro do it where he prep'd the cables for all 24 ports first, then went over and punched them down very quickly - I've never been able to keep one cable in place long enough, never mind all 24 !

Cheers,

Tim.