• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • back_ache
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2009

to make or buy a cat5 gadget

I am doing some work for a guy who wants to send telephone and ethernet over an existing cat 5 cable from one room to another (an extra cable is not an option).

so far, so simple

he also wants to plug in a phone at in the "sending" room

so, I thought you could all help with my currently internal debate, should I?

A. plug a double phone adaptor into the existing adsl splitter, then from that to a phone to cat5 adaptor and from that to a cat5 sharing adaptor.

B. make one box that does it all.

The advantage with A is its all commercial stuff and "swap-out-able" for troubleshooting, the disadvantage is it will look messy

The advantage with B is its all neat and tidy, the disadvantage is it'll look homemade, not be serviceable by anyone but me and not be tested with anything other than my basic tools.

what should I do?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Have you tried Googling to see if there is already a 1 box solution.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• back_ache
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2009

Yes, I've had a good ol' google and have found that whilst there is a lot of choice in cat5 to phone "receivers" the same isn't true with "senders"

In the end I've decided that buying beats building and am probably going to go for one of these and a double phone adaptor

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

You could aways run a longer patch lead from the network socket to the adaptor, then hide the adaptor behind furniture to disguise it.

Is wireless an option for the ethernet connection? (then you only need the one service over the cable).

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• TimH
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2004

Another thought...

How deep are the back boxes? Can you fit those adaptors behind the faceplates so you only present the sockets that you want and all other wiring is internal to either the adaptor or otherwise inside the back box? (hope that description makes sense )

Cheers,

Tim.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

• MrFluffy
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Aug 2005

A) works ok. I send 100baset and telephony down the same cat5e patch but on different twisted pairs and split them out with a custom cable either end at various points in my house which splits off into a rj11 and a rj45 plug on the appropriate pair.

Interestingly a rj11 will plug into a rj45 socket, so provided you use the right pair for the job, it stays compatible with both ethernet and audio plugs ongoing.

Or you could spend a load of money on some commercial solution to something you could make the cable up to do in five minutes. That seems to be the way at times...

Comment

• katman
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
              Interestingly a rj11 will plug into a rj45 socket, so provided you use the right pair for the job, it stays compatible with both ethernet and audio plugs ongoing.
              Even more interesting but not widely known is that putting an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 scoket bends the contacts on the outer two pairs of the RJ45 beyond the normal bending that is applied by inserting an RJ45 because the plastic body of the RJ11 forces them upwards

You will find that you may well mess up the RJ45 for proper CAT5 usage at a later date.
              KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
              http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
              X